Major motion picture to be shot in Oxford, first in over a decade
Published: January 23,2012
OXFORD — While Oxford has been the backdrop for many independent films over the last few years, it hasn’t played host to a major motion picture in well over a decade.
However, that changes in February when the cast and crew for the upcoming film, “Admissions,” begins filming on the University of Mississippi campus and around Oxford.
Mary-Katherine Herrington, tourism director, discussed the project last week while seeking a $5,000 grant from the Oxford Convention and Visitor’s Bureau. The Oxford Eagle reports the board voted unanimously to issue the grant.
The movie is expected to star Andy Garcia, who is also one of the film’s producers, according to the website, IMDB.com.
The project will begin on or about Feb. 12 and end on or about March 12.
“Admissions,” written by Glenn German and Adam Rogers, is a romantic film involving a couple who meet and fall in love while going on a tour of the university.
Garcia is known for his roles in “The Untouchables” and “The Godfather: Part III,” in which he earned Oscar nominations for best supporting actor. He also had major roles in “When a Man Loves a Woman” and “Ocean’s 11.”
In the grant application, the movie’s budget is estimated at $2.8 million.
IMBD also reports that Sonya Lunsford is involved as executive and line producer for the film. Lunsford was a co-producer for the box office hit, “The Help,” which was also filmed in Mississippi.
Herrington said producers plan to use as many local vendors during their production as possible and will be staying in Oxford hotels.
“I think with the publicity this will generate for Oxford, it’s going to be worth it,” Herrington said.
Board member Jim McCauley said he’s excited about the project and thinks it will be a great economic boom for Oxford now and possibly down the road.
“I think it puts our foot in the door with other filmmakers,” McCauley said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation