Four airlines bid on Tupelo Regional service
by Associated Press
Published: January 25,2012
TUPELO — Four airlines have submitted bids to provide commercial air service at Tupelo Regional Airport.
The airlines include Air Choice One and SeaPort Airlines, which had earlier bids rejected by the city.
The other two airlines are Blue Sky and Sun Air.
The companies are hoping to get a federal subsidy to provide air service through the Essential Air Service program, administered through the U.S. Department of Transportation.
Last July, Delta said it could no longer serve 24 small airports across the country. Included on the list were Tupelo, Greenville and Hattiesburg. Delta gets EAS subsidies to fly in those cities.
The USDOT ordered Delta to continue serving those cities until a substitute carrier could be found.
Airport Executive Director Josh Abramson said Tupelo Airport Authority and the city would have liked to have seen better bids.
“We would like to have better service than what’s been submitted and what we’ve had,” he said.
Abramson has cited the lack of interline and code-sharing flights as the biggest concerns. Without interline agreements, two separate tickets have to be issued, and passengers have to take their bags to their connecting airline for check-in.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!