Interior Department to sell offshore gas leases in June
Published: January 26,2012
GULF OF MEXICO — The Department of Interior says it has set a June date for the next Gulf offshore oil and natural gas lease sale.
The sale will include all available unleased areas in the Central Planning Area offshore Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.
The sale will take place in New Orleans on June 20.
The proposed lease sale includes approximately 7,250 unleased blocks covering nearly 38 million acres.
The blocks are located from three to about 230 miles offshore, in water depths ranging from nine to more than 11,115 feet in the central Gulf of Mexico.
Federal officials estimate the region contains close to 31 billion barrels of oil and 134 trillion cubic feet of natural gas that are currently undiscovered and technically recoverable.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation
- McDaniel cites Gunn's challenge in his attempt to overturn loss to Cochran
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- Outside group files arguments supporting McDaniel
- UPDATE — David Watkins says JRA left him in dark about HUD's Farish St. involvement
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- Once the bane of only Southerners, kudzu is migrating north and west
- SouthGroup Insurance named to 'Best Practices' study