Interior Department to sell offshore gas leases in June
by Associated Press
Published: January 26,2012
GULF OF MEXICO — The Department of Interior says it has set a June date for the next Gulf offshore oil and natural gas lease sale.
The sale will include all available unleased areas in the Central Planning Area offshore Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.
The sale will take place in New Orleans on June 20.
The proposed lease sale includes approximately 7,250 unleased blocks covering nearly 38 million acres.
The blocks are located from three to about 230 miles offshore, in water depths ranging from nine to more than 11,115 feet in the central Gulf of Mexico.
Federal officials estimate the region contains close to 31 billion barrels of oil and 134 trillion cubic feet of natural gas that are currently undiscovered and technically recoverable.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program