US Airways to offer Jackson-to-Washington service; replacing Delta
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 26,2012
JACKSON — The United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) has granted US Airways the temporary authority to operate nonstop service from the Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport (JAN) to Ronald Regan Washington National Airport (DCA).
The announcement was made jointly by Congressman Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.) and the chairman of the Jackson Municipal Airport Authority (JMAA), Dr. Glenda B. Glover.
On Jan. 24, Thompson invited Glover and Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood to discuss the JAN-DCA route and its importance to Mississippi and JAN.
Thompson said, “This nonstop flight to the nation’s capital is extremely important to economic development in Mississippi and the flight will also provide a welcomed financial benefit to Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport. I am extremely pleased that Secretary LaHood immediately followed through on the commitment that he made to airport officials and me by granting the temporary extension.”
Delta Airlines, the only carrier currently offering direct service from Jackson to
Washington, recently announced that it would terminate its nonstop service March 2. Shortly after Delta’s announcement, US Airways petitioned USDOT to begin servicing the Jackson-to-Washington route beginning March 4 on an interim basis.
In 2004, USDOT awarded Delta the use flight “slots” at DCA to exclusively fly the DCA-JAN route. Under the terms of agreement with the USDOT, Delta could not sell or otherwise dispose of the slots. If Delta were to cease the DCA-JAN service, the slots would be returned to the USDOT, which would initiate a carrier selection proceeding to redistribute the slots to a new carrier and/or destination.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Analysts hail BancorpSouth stock buyback as ‘handsome’ reward for shareholders