US Airways to offer Jackson-to-Washington service; replacing Delta
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 26,2012
JACKSON — The United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) has granted US Airways the temporary authority to operate nonstop service from the Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport (JAN) to Ronald Regan Washington National Airport (DCA).
The announcement was made jointly by Congressman Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.) and the chairman of the Jackson Municipal Airport Authority (JMAA), Dr. Glenda B. Glover.
On Jan. 24, Thompson invited Glover and Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood to discuss the JAN-DCA route and its importance to Mississippi and JAN.
Thompson said, “This nonstop flight to the nation’s capital is extremely important to economic development in Mississippi and the flight will also provide a welcomed financial benefit to Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport. I am extremely pleased that Secretary LaHood immediately followed through on the commitment that he made to airport officials and me by granting the temporary extension.”
Delta Airlines, the only carrier currently offering direct service from Jackson to
Washington, recently announced that it would terminate its nonstop service March 2. Shortly after Delta’s announcement, US Airways petitioned USDOT to begin servicing the Jackson-to-Washington route beginning March 4 on an interim basis.
In 2004, USDOT awarded Delta the use flight “slots” at DCA to exclusively fly the DCA-JAN route. Under the terms of agreement with the USDOT, Delta could not sell or otherwise dispose of the slots. If Delta were to cease the DCA-JAN service, the slots would be returned to the USDOT, which would initiate a carrier selection proceeding to redistribute the slots to a new carrier and/or destination.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- Senate election ballot approved as McDaniel's challenge continues
- Judge moves McDaniel's lawsuit challenging loss to Cochran
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments
- Judicial candidates put on ballot after rejection of challenges