Dunaway gets promotion
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 29,2012
Gregory Dunaway, a Mississippi State University faculty member with an extensive background in criminal justice and sociology, is the new associate dean in the College of Arts and Sciences. As associate dean of academic affairs and student services in the university’s largest academic unit, Dunaway coordinates all aspects of the undergraduate programs, including curriculum issues, student advising and awards and scholarships.
With administrative offices in Allen Hall, the college provides the majority of the university’s general education courses. Among its separate 14 departments are nearly two-dozen academic degree programs, more than 5,200 students and some 350 full-time faculty members.
During a distinguished campus career of more than two decades, Dunaway has served as undergraduate coordinator of the sociology and criminology programs, director of the criminal justice and corrections certificate program and director of sociology graduate studies. Several years ago, he also served as the college’s interim associate dean.
The Thomas Bailey Professor of Sociology and former sociology department head, he was instrumental in creating the state’s only criminology degree program. Additionally, he has been a research fellow at the land-grant institution’s nationally recognized Social Science Research Center.
His research interests include social factors associated with crime and delinquency, criminal justice and correctional policy. He has conducted research on a number of Mississippi justice programs, including a drug court program evaluation, survey of the juvenile detention facilities and study on multijurisdictional drug task forces.
Dunaway, a Loyola University Maryland graduate who also holds master’s and doctoral degrees from the University of Cincinnati, succeeds Dave Breaux, who recently became graduate school dean at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
Reeves named director
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Federal charges dropped against Shumate after guilty plea
- ALAN TURNER — The ‘Internet of things’ is focus of Camgian's Gary Butler
- Cochran's attorneys argue for dismissal of McDaniel's lawsuit
- MEMA warns of hottest temperatures of the year
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — State roots key to Edge Theory's Joe Stradinger