Whitney receives award
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 29,2012
Former Alcorn State University men’s basketball coach Davey L. Whitney Sr. has been honored by the Magnolia Bar Association. Whitney was one of the recipients of the Harriet Tubman Awards, the Magnolia Bar’s annual awards for community leadership.
The awards are presented to Mississippians who have distinguished themselves as trailblazers and stalwarts in the fields of business, civil rights, religion and/or politics.
As the head coach at ASU, Whitney had a career record of 509-292 and won 12 Southwestern Athletic Conference championships. He was inducted into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame in 2010.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge intends to rule on McDaniel's challenge before general election
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- (UPDATE) I-20 partially closed as vehicle carrying hazardous materials burns
- Coast family wins $644K in tideland lawsuit against state
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Corps official: River needs larger ports, locks and dams
- C Spire, UM installing Wi-Fi network at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium
- Community Bank, Pinnacle Trust ink new agreement