Whitney receives award
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 29,2012
Former Alcorn State University men’s basketball coach Davey L. Whitney Sr. has been honored by the Magnolia Bar Association. Whitney was one of the recipients of the Harriet Tubman Awards, the Magnolia Bar’s annual awards for community leadership.
The awards are presented to Mississippians who have distinguished themselves as trailblazers and stalwarts in the fields of business, civil rights, religion and/or politics.
As the head coach at ASU, Whitney had a career record of 509-292 and won 12 Southwestern Athletic Conference championships. He was inducted into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame in 2010.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Doctor's murder-for-hire case postponed, mental evaluation pending
- ACLU could sue over state's new school prayer law
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Hatchery releases largemouth bass fingerlings in three rivers
- Bill exempting small farms from fuel storage regs passes Senate
- Mayor wants 'trial run' of hotel/restaurant tax next month