Whitney receives award
by MBJ Staff
Published: January 29,2012
Former Alcorn State University men’s basketball coach Davey L. Whitney Sr. has been honored by the Magnolia Bar Association. Whitney was one of the recipients of the Harriet Tubman Awards, the Magnolia Bar’s annual awards for community leadership.
The awards are presented to Mississippians who have distinguished themselves as trailblazers and stalwarts in the fields of business, civil rights, religion and/or politics.
As the head coach at ASU, Whitney had a career record of 509-292 and won 12 Southwestern Athletic Conference championships. He was inducted into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame in 2010.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Law to bolster utilities’ economic development efforts gets mixed reactions
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Developers withdraw zoning application for former country club
- Lawmakers: Time to raze IHL