Housing director’s kickback/retaliation trial rescheduled for February
Published: January 30,2012
GREENVILLE — A housing agency director has received a month’s delay before she stands trial for allegedly taking kickbacks from a contractor and retaliating against a witness.
Ann “A.J.” Jefferson’s trial was moved from today to Feb. 29, The Delta Democrat Times reported.
Defense attorneys asked for the delay because of unspecified conflicts of counsel. Prosecutors did not object.
The trial had been scheduled in Oxford. Online court documents showed Sunday that it was rescheduled for Aberdeen before Senior U.S. District Judge Glen H. Davidson.
Jefferson is executive director of the South Delta Regional Housing Authority.
Contractor Jimmy Johnson, arrested the same day as Jefferson, pleaded guilty on Jan. 9 to aiding and abetting embezzlement in a kickback scheme from the agency. He faces up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine; a sentencing date has not been set.
Prosecutors allege Jefferson paid Johnson $10,000 for work on a house in Leland that had already been completed, and for which the agency already paid $30,000. Johnson allegedly cashed the check at a pawn shop, then returned some of the money to Jefferson.
Jefferson is charged with obstructing justice, embezzling public money, witness tampering and trying to intimidate a witness.
If convicted on all nine charges against her, Jefferson could get up to 95 years in prison and nearly $2 million in fines.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics