Lt. Gov. Reeves unveils legislative agenda
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 1,2012
JACKSON — Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves today unveiled a legislative agenda that focused on fiscal management, education reform and strengthening laws that protect Mississippi’s children.
“Through eliminating government waste, responsible spending and new, innovative approaches to education and protecting our families, Mississippi will be prepared to emerge from this national economic slowdown even stronger than before,” Reeves said.
Highlights of Reeves’ agenda include:
• Improve education efforts by passing a charter school law giving parents a choice in their child’s education and combining school districts under conservatorship in Sunflower County
• Shrinking the state’s credit card by issuing less debt and requiring bond repayments to be applied to debt service
• Allow state agencies to share services and reform purchasing practices for more efficient buying power
• Approving a child protection laws that better protects children from sexual and/or physical abuse and tightens abortion regulations
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics