Lt. Gov. Reeves unveils legislative agenda
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 1,2012
JACKSON — Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves today unveiled a legislative agenda that focused on fiscal management, education reform and strengthening laws that protect Mississippi’s children.
“Through eliminating government waste, responsible spending and new, innovative approaches to education and protecting our families, Mississippi will be prepared to emerge from this national economic slowdown even stronger than before,” Reeves said.
Highlights of Reeves’ agenda include:
• Improve education efforts by passing a charter school law giving parents a choice in their child’s education and combining school districts under conservatorship in Sunflower County
• Shrinking the state’s credit card by issuing less debt and requiring bond repayments to be applied to debt service
• Allow state agencies to share services and reform purchasing practices for more efficient buying power
• Approving a child protection laws that better protects children from sexual and/or physical abuse and tightens abortion regulations
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip