Britton & Koontz sees drop in net income in 2011
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 2,2012
NATCHEZ — Britton & Koontz Capital Corporation reports net income for the year ended Dec. 31, 2011, of $394,000, or $.18 per basic and diluted share, compared to $1.9 million, or $.90 per basic and diluted share, for 2010.
Net income for the quarter ended Dec. 31, 2011, was $311,000, or $.15 per basic and diluted share, compared to $665,000, or $.31 per basic and diluted share, for the fourth quarter of 2010.
The returns on average assets and equity for the year were .11 percent and 1.00 percent, respectively, compared to .51 percent and 4.76 percent, respectively, for same period in 2010.
Net interest income for the three and 12 months decreased $630,000 and $1.7 million, respectively, over the same periods in 2010. The decrease for both periods is primarily due to the shift in longer-term, higher-yielding loans and investment securities to cash. Factors contributing to the shift were lower volumes and returns on investment securities due to the lower interest rate environment during 2011, which made profitable reinvestment of cash flows back into the market difficult and continued weak loan demand in all markets. In both cases, cash flow was either used to pay down short-term debt or build up deposits at the Federal Reserve Bank.
As a result of these changes, asset yields declined twice as fast as funding costs, negatively impacting net interest income.
Since Dec. 31, 2010, total assets decreased $9.3 million to $366.1 million at Dec. 31, 2011. The change is due primarily to decreases in total investment securities of $19.9 million, a decrease in net loans of $31.5 million, an increase in cash and due from banks of $42.8 million and an increase in other real estate of $398,000.
Total deposits increased $4.5 million to $263.1 million.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option