Rep. Kevin McGee fined $50K, ordered to repay state $346,554
Published: February 6,2012
Tags: Columbus, Ethics Commission, Hinds County Circuit Court, Mississippi, Mississippi Gulf Coast, Public Utilities Committee, Rankin County, Rep. Jeff Smith, Service Printers of Flowood, State Rep. Kevin McGee
JACKSON — A Rankin County lawmaker has been ordered by the state Ethics Commission to repay the state $346,554 from public printing contracts that went to his family business.
State Rep. Kevin McGee was also fined $50,000 for the dealings.
McGee, a Republican from Brandon, owns — along with family members — Service Printers of Flowood.
State law prohibits legislators from doing business with state government because the Legislature dictates how the state’s money is spent .
McGee can appeal to the Hinds County Circuit Court.
“We’re discussing our options,” his attorney, Rep. Jeff Smith, R-Columbus, said Friday. “We’re looking at (appealing).”
McGee was elected to the Legislature in 2007. He currently serves as vice chairman of the Public Utilities Committee.
An anonymous complaint came to the Ethics Commission in May. A hearing was held in December.
“The parties engaged in a number of discussions in a good faith attempt to resolve the matter without a formal hearing,” the commission’s order states. “Such discussions did not result in a resolution of the matter.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- HUNTER ARNOLD: Mississippi, Gulf Coast states focus on global business markets
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- Starkville's Cotton Mill Marketplace hotel breaks ground Wednesday
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- AWAITING ITS FATE: Gables complex may have to shrink to meet law
- DAVID DALLAS — Roger Wicker: Profile in discouragement