Rep. Kevin McGee fined $50K, ordered to repay state $346,554
Published: February 6,2012
Tags: Columbus, Ethics Commission, Hinds County Circuit Court, Mississippi, Mississippi Gulf Coast, Public Utilities Committee, Rankin County, Rep. Jeff Smith, Service Printers of Flowood, State Rep. Kevin McGee
JACKSON — A Rankin County lawmaker has been ordered by the state Ethics Commission to repay the state $346,554 from public printing contracts that went to his family business.
State Rep. Kevin McGee was also fined $50,000 for the dealings.
McGee, a Republican from Brandon, owns — along with family members — Service Printers of Flowood.
State law prohibits legislators from doing business with state government because the Legislature dictates how the state’s money is spent .
McGee can appeal to the Hinds County Circuit Court.
“We’re discussing our options,” his attorney, Rep. Jeff Smith, R-Columbus, said Friday. “We’re looking at (appealing).”
McGee was elected to the Legislature in 2007. He currently serves as vice chairman of the Public Utilities Committee.
An anonymous complaint came to the Ethics Commission in May. A hearing was held in December.
“The parties engaged in a number of discussions in a good faith attempt to resolve the matter without a formal hearing,” the commission’s order states. “Such discussions did not result in a resolution of the matter.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Prison-contract task force working in wake of Epps' indictment
- Bryant wants free tuition for students with technical diploma
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending
- Investigators find massive Ag Museum fire was an accident
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food