Rep. Kevin McGee fined $50K, ordered to repay state $346,554
by Associated Press
Published: February 6,2012
Tags: Columbus, Ethics Commission, Hinds County Circuit Court, Mississippi, Mississippi Gulf Coast, Public Utilities Committee, Rankin County, Rep. Jeff Smith, Service Printers of Flowood, State Rep. Kevin McGee
JACKSON — A Rankin County lawmaker has been ordered by the state Ethics Commission to repay the state $346,554 from public printing contracts that went to his family business.
State Rep. Kevin McGee was also fined $50,000 for the dealings.
McGee, a Republican from Brandon, owns — along with family members — Service Printers of Flowood.
State law prohibits legislators from doing business with state government because the Legislature dictates how the state’s money is spent .
McGee can appeal to the Hinds County Circuit Court.
“We’re discussing our options,” his attorney, Rep. Jeff Smith, R-Columbus, said Friday. “We’re looking at (appealing).”
McGee was elected to the Legislature in 2007. He currently serves as vice chairman of the Public Utilities Committee.
An anonymous complaint came to the Ethics Commission in May. A hearing was held in December.
“The parties engaged in a number of discussions in a good faith attempt to resolve the matter without a formal hearing,” the commission’s order states. “Such discussions did not result in a resolution of the matter.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- Hood clarifies opinion on open-carry gun law
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- Alcorn's finances being investigated; CFO resigns
- Court to hear case involving alligators and ExxonMobil
- Officials hand mayor projects list totaling $57.7M
- State granted delay in implementing teacher evaluations
- Public meeting called to mull future of convention center