MSU’s Quarles honored by ASPA
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 12,2012
Tags: American Society for Public Administration, John C. Stennis Institute of Government, Mississippi State University, Mississippi University for Women, Mississippi Worker's Compensation Commission, Samford University's Cumberland School of Law
Lydia Quarles, a senior policy analyst at Mississippi State University’s John C. Stennis Institute of Government and assistant professor in the university’s department of political science and public administration, is receiving a national award for advancing the role of women. The American Society for Public Administration recently selected Quarles for the 2012 Joan Fill Bishop Award, a major recognition for women who have helped increase women’s participation in the field, contributed to the public sector and shown innovative leadership.
During her career, Quarles has worked as an attorney and a judge. From 1993-2001, she was an administrative law judge with the Mississippi Worker’s Compensation Commission, where she also served a six-year term as a commissioner. She continues to practice law in-state and operates a consulting business.
Since joining the Stennis Institute in 2006, Quarles has managed numerous projects and taught graduate-level public administration courses. She also provides research reports and training sessions for the Mississippi Legislature, and is managing editor of the institute’s publication, “Perspectives on Women & Politics.”
Quarles holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees in communications from the Mississippi University for Women in Columbus and a law degree from Samford University’s Cumberland School of Law in Birmingham, Ala.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability