Louisville Railcar Repair breaks ground, creating 30 new jobs
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 14,2012
LOUISVILLE — Officials from Louisville Railcar Repair, contract manufacturer and repairer of rail cars, broke ground yesterday on its new facility at the site of the transload rail facility in Louisville. The project, which will consist of repair, paint and welding facilities, represents a company investment of $1.3 million and will create 30 new jobs.
The transload rail facility is located on the site formerly owned by Richton Tie and Timber Company. In 2011, the City of Louisville purchased the property to create the transload rail facility so the area’s existing industries could load and unload goods being shipped on the Kansas City Railroad with greater ease and less expense. Louisville’s concept of a city creating a transload facility is the first of its kind along the Kansas City Southern system, and it serves as a model for smaller communities looking to reuse outdated rail sites, according to the Mississippi Development Authority (MDA).
“We expect to hire about 30 people, and we look forward to meeting new people during this process. We previously had a company in Meridian and after researching the possibilities, we felt Winston County fit our needs. We felt welcomed by all involved,” said Ronald McDevitt, Louisville Railcar Repair owner.
The MDA worked with company and local officials on the project and provided assistance for infrastructure improvements and site preparation. The Appalachian Regional Commission provided assistance for the project, as well.
Louisville Railcar Repair opened in June 2011. The company repairs, refurbishes and services railcars that have been involved in train accidents and/or derailments, as well as railcars that need replacement parts due to metal fatigue or scheduled inspections per federal transportation requirements. Owners Ronald and Beverly McDevitt have over 25 years of experience repairing railcars.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring