Officials delay vote on proposed $20M recreation complex
by Associated Press
Published: February 14,2012
VICKSBURG — A special meeting of the Vicksburg Board of Mayor and Aldermen scheduled for yesterday to discuss a proposed $20 million recreation complex was pushed back until today.
Mayor Paul Winfield told The Vicksburg Post the board will take up the matter at its regular meeting.
At issue is a proposal to ask the Mississippi Legislature for approval to increase hotel and food and beverage taxes to fund the sports park.
Winfield wants to borrow about $20 million to buy land and develop the park. He wants to increase the city’s 2 percent hotel tax by an additional 2 percent and add a 1.5 percent tax on food and beverages.
It was the third time Winfield has postponed discussion on the bill and the sports complex.
The board also has discussed the future of 200 acres the city bought for $325,000. Intended as a sports complex, the site was abandoned by the city in 2009 after $2.7 million had been spent for preliminary plans, engineering and site work.
Winfield has said the Fisher Ferry site was not suitable, saying part of the property, including the access route, is in a flood zone.
The mayor has said he wants to sell the Fisher Ferry site for residential development.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip