Coast airport celebrates coming of Direct Air service
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 16,2012
GULFPORT — Direct Air, a scheduled indirect air service base operating in Lakeland, Fla., and corporate headquarters located in Myrtle Beach, S.C., is introducing year-round air service between Linder Regional Airport in Lakeland and Gulfport-Biloxi Regional Airport.
The nonstop 90-minute flight service will be offered three times per week, on Fridays, Sundays, and Wednesdays beginning June 15.
Scheduled service did not exist at Lakeland prior to June 23, 2011, when Direct Air began service from the underserved airport. In addition to the announcement of the Gulfport‐Lakeland route, Direct Air also announced the additional year-round service into Lakeland from Rickenbacker/Columbus, Ohio, and Pittsburgh, Pa.
“This is the typical expansion pattern of Direct Air,” said Ed Warneck, managing partner of Direct Air. “We start off with a few flights per week and add frequency and additional destinations based on demand. I guess you could say, we grow with the market.”
Direct Air began service in March 2007 flying 67,000 passengers in its first year. Since then, Travis Lott Jr., chairman of the Gulfport-Biloxi Regional Airport Authority, said, “Given Lakeland’s central location between Tampa and Orlando, we feel we can attract many more visitors to the Mississippi Gulf Coast while providing our local community direct, low-cost access to all of the attractions central-west Florida has to offer. We appreciate the support and commitment of Direct Air and look forward to growing this service with them.”
Kay Ellison, managing partner of Direct Air, said, “Year after year, Gulfport is consistently a top leisure destination for people from central and western Florida looking for a quick getaway. We believe Gulfport will be the getaway destination of choice for our customers from the Tampa Bay and Orlando areas.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Healthcare Marketplace to look much the same in 2015