Commission rejects proposal for Deer Island development
Published: February 20,2012
Tags: boating, condominiums, hospitality, hotels, island, lodging, municipal government, outdoors, real estate, residences, residential real estate, restaurants, tourism, tourists, vacations, visitors
BILOXI — The Biloxi Planning Commission has rejected a proposed development on the west end of Deer Island.
The Sun Herald reports the commission recommended denial of a zoning change. The issue next goes to the Biloxi City Council for a decision.
Larry Mitrenga has proposed the Oasis at Deer Island. Mitrenga has described the resort with eight three-story buildings, a pavilion for special events and a tiki bar. It would be a condotels with a mix of 1,000-square-foot condominiums and hotel rooms.
The site is about a half-mile off the East Biloxi coastline. The north end of the property is waterfront.
Developers say the resort would have electrical service, city water and sewer, an onsite medical facility and a heliport for emergency transport.
Mitrenga’s attorney, Michael Cavanaugh, said the zoning change from agricultural to waterfront is merited because of the change in the character of the neighborhood. Since Hurricane Katrina, he said, most of the East Biloxi coastline has been rezoned to waterfront.
Edward Shambra, the city’s executive planner, said the neighborhood is not across the water on U.S. 90.
“The neighborhood is the island itself,” he said.
Shambra said the eight-acre site is about 1 percent of the total island amid hundreds of acres of undeveloped land owned by the state.
The resort was opposed by the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources and others.
Deer Island is one of the Mississippi barrier islands located in the Gulf of Mexico south of Biloxi.
The state owns all but 17 acres of the island.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Commission rejects proposal for Deer Island development”
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job