Popular pier destroyed by Katrina awaits final inspection
Published: February 22,2012
OCEAN SPRINGS — Jackson County supervisors plan to open the Ocean Springs Fishing Pier this week, as soon as the final inspection is complete.
The popular pier, destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, was originally a piece of the old U.S. 90 bridge over Back Bay.
Rebuilt with $2 million from FEMA, it has four covered pavilions, cement pilings and a hand-washing area.
The Sun Herald reports adjacent to the pier is a new county parking lot, which Supervisor Troy Ross said it likely will be popular with people who walk the Biloxi Bay Bridge. There is a walkway under the bridge that connects the new fishing pier and parking lot to Front Beach.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Bill would use casino taxes for bridges, little for tourism
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Statue depicts famous duel that originated 'Bowie knife'