Popular pier destroyed by Katrina awaits final inspection
Published: February 22,2012
OCEAN SPRINGS — Jackson County supervisors plan to open the Ocean Springs Fishing Pier this week, as soon as the final inspection is complete.
The popular pier, destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, was originally a piece of the old U.S. 90 bridge over Back Bay.
Rebuilt with $2 million from FEMA, it has four covered pavilions, cement pilings and a hand-washing area.
The Sun Herald reports adjacent to the pier is a new county parking lot, which Supervisor Troy Ross said it likely will be popular with people who walk the Biloxi Bay Bridge. There is a walkway under the bridge that connects the new fishing pier and parking lot to Front Beach.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation