Mexican restaurants accused of hiring illegal immigrant workers
by Associated Press
Published: February 29,2012
PEARL RIVER COUNTY — A criminal complaint unsealed in federal court alleges the owner and managers of three Mexican restaurants in Pearl River County conspired to hire illegal immigrant workers and harbor them to avoid detection.
The Sun Herald reports the complaint and the investigating agency have identified them as owner Jose Gutierrez and employees Vicente Jimenez Juan Barajas and Evaristo Jimenez.
Two of the restaurants are in Picayune and the other in Poplarville.
The complaint also alleges Gutierrez hired illegal workers in Biloxi when he owned the Macho Taco restaurant, which was sold in June.
The complaint was filed in court after the arrests last Thursday of 16 alleged illegal workers in a raid by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations.
It was not immediately clear whether those arrested have attorneys.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Doctor's murder-for-hire case postponed, mental evaluation pending
- ACLU could sue over state's new school prayer law
- Hatchery releases largemouth bass fingerlings in three rivers
- Bill exempting small farms from fuel storage regs passes Senate
- John Fletcher joins Jones Walker