Mexican restaurants accused of hiring illegal immigrant workers
by Associated Press
Published: February 29,2012
PEARL RIVER COUNTY — A criminal complaint unsealed in federal court alleges the owner and managers of three Mexican restaurants in Pearl River County conspired to hire illegal immigrant workers and harbor them to avoid detection.
The Sun Herald reports the complaint and the investigating agency have identified them as owner Jose Gutierrez and employees Vicente Jimenez Juan Barajas and Evaristo Jimenez.
Two of the restaurants are in Picayune and the other in Poplarville.
The complaint also alleges Gutierrez hired illegal workers in Biloxi when he owned the Macho Taco restaurant, which was sold in June.
The complaint was filed in court after the arrests last Thursday of 16 alleged illegal workers in a raid by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations.
It was not immediately clear whether those arrested have attorneys.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- Hood clarifies opinion on open-carry gun law
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- Court to hear case involving alligators and ExxonMobil
- Alcorn's finances being investigated; CFO resigns
- Officials hand mayor projects list totaling $57.7M
- Public meeting called to mull future of convention center
- Town given Obamacare insurance break, but faces additional costs in 2015