Mexican restaurants accused of hiring illegal immigrant workers
Published: February 29,2012
PEARL RIVER COUNTY — A criminal complaint unsealed in federal court alleges the owner and managers of three Mexican restaurants in Pearl River County conspired to hire illegal immigrant workers and harbor them to avoid detection.
The Sun Herald reports the complaint and the investigating agency have identified them as owner Jose Gutierrez and employees Vicente Jimenez Juan Barajas and Evaristo Jimenez.
Two of the restaurants are in Picayune and the other in Poplarville.
The complaint also alleges Gutierrez hired illegal workers in Biloxi when he owned the Macho Taco restaurant, which was sold in June.
The complaint was filed in court after the arrests last Thursday of 16 alleged illegal workers in a raid by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations.
It was not immediately clear whether those arrested have attorneys.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- ALAN TURNER: Education in Mississippi – good and bad news
- Hosemann to launch crowd funding program
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- JOSH MABUS: The Tao of Road House
- Answering the Bell: Interim Ole Miss law school dean well-regarded for directing hands-on clinical training