Mexican restaurants accused of hiring illegal immigrant workers
Published: February 29,2012
PEARL RIVER COUNTY — A criminal complaint unsealed in federal court alleges the owner and managers of three Mexican restaurants in Pearl River County conspired to hire illegal immigrant workers and harbor them to avoid detection.
The Sun Herald reports the complaint and the investigating agency have identified them as owner Jose Gutierrez and employees Vicente Jimenez Juan Barajas and Evaristo Jimenez.
Two of the restaurants are in Picayune and the other in Poplarville.
The complaint also alleges Gutierrez hired illegal workers in Biloxi when he owned the Macho Taco restaurant, which was sold in June.
The complaint was filed in court after the arrests last Thursday of 16 alleged illegal workers in a raid by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations.
It was not immediately clear whether those arrested have attorneys.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Statue depicts famous duel that originated 'Bowie knife'