Officials say they will clean up county’s bloated voter rolls
Published: March 2,2012
LEFLORE COUNTY — Leflore County circuit clerk Elmus Stockstill says he and Election Commission chairman Edward Course will work to address inflated voter rolls.
The Greenwood Commonwealth reports data from the secretary of state’s office shows Leflore County has 4,000 more registered voters than adults living here.
Data from the 2010 census shows the county’s voting age population is 23,566 compared to 27,616 “current active voters” in the statewide election management system, the secretary of state’s report said.
“It didn’t happen overnight, and we’re not going to fix it overnight,” Stockstill said. “But it is an issue we’re going to address.”
After the elections this year, Stockstill said he plans to examine laws for who can legally be taken off the rolls. He said voters could be purged if they don’t vote in two consecutive federal elections.
Stockstill said they would put particular focus on precincts with large discrepancies. For example, he said the Mississippi Valley State University precinct has more than 4,500 registered voters, yet there are fewer than 3,000 students, many of whom commute.
Leflore County is one of 16 counties statewide with more registered voters than its voting age population, according to the secretary of state’s report.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren