Burkhalter honored for valor
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 4,2012
The U.S. Coast Guard has presented a Certificate of Valor to Gulfport firefighter Lawrence Burkhalter. The Coast Guard says in a news release that Burkhalter is being honored for his efforts in the rescue of a State of Mississippi port employee.
Chief Warrant Officer Thomas Ponte, commanding officer of Coast Guard Station Gulfport, says on Dec. 10, 2010, Roy Lang fell 20 feet off of West Pier 7 into 48-degree water in the Gulf Harbor. With the freezing temperatures and inability to recover, Lang became hypothermic and unresponsive.
Ponte says after two attempts at positioning Lang in a stokes litter basket, Burkhalter securely lifted him onto a Coast Guard vessel.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- Keeping our eye on... Liz Lancaster
- GOP Sen. Thad Cochran to run for seventh term
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- Alcorn's finances being investigated; CFO resigns
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- Court to hear case involving alligators and ExxonMobil