Burkhalter honored for valor
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 4,2012
The U.S. Coast Guard has presented a Certificate of Valor to Gulfport firefighter Lawrence Burkhalter. The Coast Guard says in a news release that Burkhalter is being honored for his efforts in the rescue of a State of Mississippi port employee.
Chief Warrant Officer Thomas Ponte, commanding officer of Coast Guard Station Gulfport, says on Dec. 10, 2010, Roy Lang fell 20 feet off of West Pier 7 into 48-degree water in the Gulf Harbor. With the freezing temperatures and inability to recover, Lang became hypothermic and unresponsive.
Ponte says after two attempts at positioning Lang in a stokes litter basket, Burkhalter securely lifted him onto a Coast Guard vessel.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Top 10 finalists chosen for C Spire Conerly Trophy
- Stricklin: Deer parasites don't affect quality of venison
- Prison-contract task force working in wake of Epps' indictment
- Bryant wants free tuition for students with technical diploma