Burkhalter honored for valor
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 4,2012
The U.S. Coast Guard has presented a Certificate of Valor to Gulfport firefighter Lawrence Burkhalter. The Coast Guard says in a news release that Burkhalter is being honored for his efforts in the rescue of a State of Mississippi port employee.
Chief Warrant Officer Thomas Ponte, commanding officer of Coast Guard Station Gulfport, says on Dec. 10, 2010, Roy Lang fell 20 feet off of West Pier 7 into 48-degree water in the Gulf Harbor. With the freezing temperatures and inability to recover, Lang became hypothermic and unresponsive.
Ponte says after two attempts at positioning Lang in a stokes litter basket, Burkhalter securely lifted him onto a Coast Guard vessel.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- (VIDEO) ALAN TURNER: Wilson says he’s ready for elected office
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- Choctaws' new hospital nearing completion
- Mississippi furniture makers on rebound with more exports
- Plan would give up to $1.5M to music recording, concerts
- Mississippi takes an incentives licking, keeps on ticking