Karriker presented award
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 4,2012
Dr. Locke Karriker was recently presented the College of Veterinary Medicine’s 2012 Alumnus of the Year Award at Mississippi State University. Karriker, who currently serves as the director of the Swine Medicine Education Center at Iowa State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine, grew up in North Carolina’s coastal area and cultivated an interest in agriculture at an early age. Karriker spends most of his time teaching swine medicine classes at ISU, but he also conducts research and outreach activities. He consults with producers, presents to colleagues and conducts investigations, taking him throughout the United States and around the world.
Karriker began his career at Seaboard Farms in Guymon, Okla., where he provided primary veterinary care to an 185,000-head sow herd. While there, he developed an on-farm food safety program and developed and implemented a biosecurity program.
Karriker serves as chair of the Veterinary Diagnostic and Production Animal Medicine Department’s Curriculum Committee and co-chair of the ISU-CVM Veterinary Medicine Curriculum Committee. He participates in search committees and subcommittees, co-edited the 10th edition of “Diseases and Swine” and collaborates with the Iowa Pork Industry Center.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Healthcare Marketplace to look much the same in 2015