Karriker presented award
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 4,2012
Dr. Locke Karriker was recently presented the College of Veterinary Medicine’s 2012 Alumnus of the Year Award at Mississippi State University. Karriker, who currently serves as the director of the Swine Medicine Education Center at Iowa State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine, grew up in North Carolina’s coastal area and cultivated an interest in agriculture at an early age. Karriker spends most of his time teaching swine medicine classes at ISU, but he also conducts research and outreach activities. He consults with producers, presents to colleagues and conducts investigations, taking him throughout the United States and around the world.
Karriker began his career at Seaboard Farms in Guymon, Okla., where he provided primary veterinary care to an 185,000-head sow herd. While there, he developed an on-farm food safety program and developed and implemented a biosecurity program.
Karriker serves as chair of the Veterinary Diagnostic and Production Animal Medicine Department’s Curriculum Committee and co-chair of the ISU-CVM Veterinary Medicine Curriculum Committee. He participates in search committees and subcommittees, co-edited the 10th edition of “Diseases and Swine” and collaborates with the Iowa Pork Industry Center.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation
- McDaniel cites Gunn's challenge in his attempt to overturn loss to Cochran
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- UPDATE — David Watkins says JRA left him in dark about HUD's Farish St. involvement
- Once the bane of only Southerners, kudzu is migrating north and west
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- HCC works deal with MSU Extension Service for land to expand
- SouthGroup Insurance named to 'Best Practices' study