Councilmen vote to hire consultant to determine hospital’s value
Published: March 9,2012
GREENWOOD — The Greenwood City Council has voted to hire consultants to determine the dollar value of Greenwood Leflore Hospital.
The hospital is owned jointly by the city and Leflore County. The city council voted Tuesday to hire the consultants.
City and county officials have had early discussions about the possibility of selling the hospital.
City Council President Ronnie Stevenson tells the Greenwood Commonwealth determining the hospital’s value doesn’t necessarily mean that it will be sold.
“We’re doing our homework as far as what the hospital is worth, what the hospital is doing on a day-to-day basis,” he said. “Are they losing money? Are they making money? I feel like we need to be on top of what’s going on at the hospital.”
Stevenson said determining the hospital’s value is in the long-term interest of the city and the county.
“The last thing we want to do is for us to be caught holding the bag on what’s going on out there,” he said.
He said there is a growing trend among cities across the state to sell municipally owned hospitals.
“Grenada is considering selling theirs. Oxford has sold theirs; Clarksdale has sold theirs; Greenville is considering selling theirs,” Stevenson said.
Greenwood Leflore Hospital is “losing money every month,” and limited reserve funds have been used to keep it operating, he said. Stevenson said advanced equipment is so expensive that the hospital might not be able to offer cutting-edge treatment in the future.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics