W.C. Fore Trucking lands $19.1M port elevation project
by Associated Press
Published: March 12,2012
Tags: construction, disaster, disaster preparedness, disaster recovery, distribution, elevation, flooding, floods, hurricanes, natural disaster, ports, shipping, ships, transportation, tropical storms, tropical weather
GULFPORT — A $19.1 million contract has been awarded by the Port of Gulfport to elevate the first 43 acres of the West Pier to 25 feet.
The Sun Herald reports W.C. Fore Trucking Inc. of Biloxi will be hauling roughly 200 loads of dirt a day to the Port of Gulfport.
Officials say it will take almost 1.5 million tons of dirt to raise the acreage from its current elevation of 10 feet.
Fore was the lowest of 11 bidders for the job.
Elevation of the entire 180-acre pier is scheduled to be finished by June 2017.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Union-restricting legislation moves forward
- Boyd Gaming reports drop in in-state net revenue
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years