W.C. Fore Trucking lands $19.1M port elevation project
by Associated Press
Published: March 12,2012
Tags: construction, disaster, disaster preparedness, disaster recovery, distribution, elevation, flooding, floods, hurricanes, natural disaster, ports, shipping, ships, transportation, tropical storms, tropical weather
GULFPORT — A $19.1 million contract has been awarded by the Port of Gulfport to elevate the first 43 acres of the West Pier to 25 feet.
The Sun Herald reports W.C. Fore Trucking Inc. of Biloxi will be hauling roughly 200 loads of dirt a day to the Port of Gulfport.
Officials say it will take almost 1.5 million tons of dirt to raise the acreage from its current elevation of 10 feet.
Fore was the lowest of 11 bidders for the job.
Elevation of the entire 180-acre pier is scheduled to be finished by June 2017.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program