W.C. Fore Trucking lands $19.1M port elevation project
Published: March 12,2012
Tags: construction, disaster, disaster preparedness, disaster recovery, distribution, elevation, flooding, floods, hurricanes, natural disaster, ports, shipping, ships, transportation, tropical storms, tropical weather
GULFPORT — A $19.1 million contract has been awarded by the Port of Gulfport to elevate the first 43 acres of the West Pier to 25 feet.
The Sun Herald reports W.C. Fore Trucking Inc. of Biloxi will be hauling roughly 200 loads of dirt a day to the Port of Gulfport.
Officials say it will take almost 1.5 million tons of dirt to raise the acreage from its current elevation of 10 feet.
Fore was the lowest of 11 bidders for the job.
Elevation of the entire 180-acre pier is scheduled to be finished by June 2017.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet
- Bryant protests immigrant children being housed in state
- Gunn, Reeves introduce performance-based budget plan
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency