W.C. Fore Trucking lands $19.1M port elevation project
by Associated Press
Published: March 12,2012
Tags: construction, disaster, disaster preparedness, disaster recovery, distribution, elevation, flooding, floods, hurricanes, natural disaster, ports, shipping, ships, transportation, tropical storms, tropical weather
GULFPORT — A $19.1 million contract has been awarded by the Port of Gulfport to elevate the first 43 acres of the West Pier to 25 feet.
The Sun Herald reports W.C. Fore Trucking Inc. of Biloxi will be hauling roughly 200 loads of dirt a day to the Port of Gulfport.
Officials say it will take almost 1.5 million tons of dirt to raise the acreage from its current elevation of 10 feet.
Fore was the lowest of 11 bidders for the job.
Elevation of the entire 180-acre pier is scheduled to be finished by June 2017.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- School superintendent terminated after party funds, travel questions
- Accounting firm finds problems at troubled MDMR
- Hosemann recruiting Realtors to market tax-forfeited property
- Airline announces new service at Oxford
- Telepak strikes another branding deal with C Spire
- Woman indicted for Medicaid fraud; faces up to 35 years in prison
- Report: State's teacher education programs 'mediocre at best'
- C Spire launches new WiFi On app for Android-powered phones
- Davis resigns, turning over mayor's office early