W.C. Fore Trucking lands $19.1M port elevation project
Published: March 12,2012
Tags: construction, disaster, disaster preparedness, disaster recovery, distribution, elevation, flooding, floods, hurricanes, natural disaster, ports, shipping, ships, transportation, tropical storms, tropical weather
GULFPORT — A $19.1 million contract has been awarded by the Port of Gulfport to elevate the first 43 acres of the West Pier to 25 feet.
The Sun Herald reports W.C. Fore Trucking Inc. of Biloxi will be hauling roughly 200 loads of dirt a day to the Port of Gulfport.
Officials say it will take almost 1.5 million tons of dirt to raise the acreage from its current elevation of 10 feet.
Fore was the lowest of 11 bidders for the job.
Elevation of the entire 180-acre pier is scheduled to be finished by June 2017.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Board files suit against VA over release of patients' names
- Gov. Bryant sets special election date for Senate District 17
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- Mississippi sounds coming to Americana Music Festival & Conference
- City trying to determine who has authority to spend gaming money