Study assesses needs of town destoryed by tornado in 2010
Published: March 14,2012
SMITHVILLE — Based on preliminary reports from a community needs assessment in Smithville, local residents want a grocery store followed by a drug store and an auto parts store.
That’s the challenge for the Monroe County town as it approaches the one-year anniversary for an April 2010 tornado that devastated it.
WTVA-TV reports most business owners who elected to stay or set up shop as soon as possible say they are seeing a profit. Still, they would like more businesses to arrive.
“Some other businesses we would like to see come into our community would be a grocery store and a drug store,” said Leigh Duncan, owner of Smithville Hardware.
“Obviously, a grocery store is very important to a community,” said Phil Prewitt, also a business owner. “Another business that would do well here would be definitely some rental property, you know, to rent out homes and things of that nature.”
The recent community needs assessment gave town leaders a chance to see what residents would like to see open in the near future.
They also are willing to provide that information to people outside of town considering a business in Smithville.
“It will be hard for me to put a business inside right now in town knowing that I had to depend on the population inside our city limits,” said Mayor Gregg Kennedy. “We included a six-mile radius around our town to show the population that does business here in Smithville.”
“This is one of the areas that can be a shining light for not only Monroe County but for the state of Mississippi,” said Prewitt.
The Stennis Institute at Mississippi State University is crunching the numbers from that survey.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Study assesses needs of town destoryed by tornado in 2010”
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job