Presley supports Supreme Court’s reversal on Kemper power plant
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 19,2012
KEMPER COUNTY — Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley has issued the following statement in response to the Supreme Court’s reversal of Mississippi Power Company’s Kemper County Coal Plant:
“(This) 9-0 decision by the Mississippi Supreme Court reversing the $2.8 billion Kemper County Coal Plant is a major victory for each and every customer of Mississippi Power Company and deals a serious blow to the company’s corporate socialism. In this case, Mississippi Power Company gave new meaning to the phrase, ‘We got the gold mine, they got the shaft.’
“I’ve argued consistently that customers of Mississippi Power Company have been mistreated by the company hiding rate impacts in this case and by putting their shareholders above their customers.
“This plant is untried technology. The shareholders have no risks while the customers have all the risks along with a 45 percent rate hike to boot. The company also wanted to raise rates before the plant produced any electricity. I believe in ‘pay as you go,’ I just don’t believe you should pay before you go.
“I personally wrote multi-page dissents in this case and am pleased today to see that those arguments were not in vain. This $2.8 billion case comes back now to the commission for further review.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Presley supports Supreme Court’s reversal on Kemper power plant”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip