MDEQ closes beach due to pump station overflow
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 20,2012
BILOXI — The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ), through its Beach Monitoring Program, has closed a section of beach in Biloxi.
This preemptive closure includes Station 11A (which extends from Eisenhower Drive westward to Debuys Road) and also continues west to Mockingbird Lane. MDEQ advises people to not swim or engage in any other water activities in that area.
A malfunction of the Edgewater pump station last Saturday evening caused an overflow at Beach Drive near Gateway Drive in Biloxi.
MDEQ reports the city of Biloxi responded immediately to the report of the overflow and made repairs to the station, which stopped the bypass. The city attempted to disinfect the spilled sewage, and MDEQ is investigating the incident. However, it is not known at this time how much sewage may have reached the beach.
MDEQ issued this preemptive closure as a precautionary measure until samples can be analyzed to determine the safety of the water.
When water samples show that levels are safe for human contact, the closure
will be lifted. The Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, which performs water sampling of the Mississippi Gulf Coast beaches for MDEQ, notifies the agency when an area has returned to acceptable levels.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal