Stion receives certification to ship solar modules from plant
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 20,2012
HATTIESBURG — Stion, a manufacturer of high-efficiency thin-film solar modules, has received both Underwriters’ Laboratories (UL) and International Electrotechnical Commissions (IEC) certifications to ship modules produced at its Hattiesburg factory.
Stion modules with nominal power of up to 140 watts are now available, with commercial shipments from the factory commencing later this month. The first phase of the 500-megawatt factory has 100 megawatts of annual production capacity, which is the equivalent of approximately 25,000 residential solar electric systems.
“Beginning shipments from Hattiesburg less than one year after starting construction represents a tremendous accomplishment by our team,” said Chet Farris, CEO of Stion. “We are excited to strengthen our position as a the leading U.S.-based manufacturers of solar modules, and bring thin film to a broad range of applications and markets globally.”
Stion will continue expansion of both its Hattiesburg factory and its San Jose, Calif., headquarters. As part of its $130 million funding round in December 2011, Stion is establishing a subsidiary in Korea (Stion Korea) with strategic partner AVACO to build a factory that will help serve the Asian and European markets.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015