Stion receives certification to ship solar modules from plant
by MBJ Staff
Published: March 20,2012
HATTIESBURG — Stion, a manufacturer of high-efficiency thin-film solar modules, has received both Underwriters’ Laboratories (UL) and International Electrotechnical Commissions (IEC) certifications to ship modules produced at its Hattiesburg factory.
Stion modules with nominal power of up to 140 watts are now available, with commercial shipments from the factory commencing later this month. The first phase of the 500-megawatt factory has 100 megawatts of annual production capacity, which is the equivalent of approximately 25,000 residential solar electric systems.
“Beginning shipments from Hattiesburg less than one year after starting construction represents a tremendous accomplishment by our team,” said Chet Farris, CEO of Stion. “We are excited to strengthen our position as a the leading U.S.-based manufacturers of solar modules, and bring thin film to a broad range of applications and markets globally.”
Stion will continue expansion of both its Hattiesburg factory and its San Jose, Calif., headquarters. As part of its $130 million funding round in December 2011, Stion is establishing a subsidiary in Korea (Stion Korea) with strategic partner AVACO to build a factory that will help serve the Asian and European markets.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Retired judge to hear McDaniel's challenge of primary loss to Cochran
- PSC's Brandon Presley calls in-state nuclear waste dump a 'harebrained scheme'
- Georgia-Pacific completes acquisition of SPG Holdings
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Venture Tech merges with ISC, acquires SAT
- State's jobless rate remains highest in U.S.
- Former DMR manager pleads guilty to embezzlement
- GOLF ranks state's courses; Fallen Oaks, Dancing Rabbit make top 100
- Court ruling on Section 42 leaves taxpayers on hook for tax repayments