Justice Department investigating Golden Triangle tax preparer
by Associated Press
Published: March 21,2012
COLUMBUS — The Justice Department is seeking to shut down a tax preparer, who runs a business in Columbus.
Yesterday, federal prosecutors said they filed a federal civil injunction suit to bar Cynthia H. Carter from preparing federal tax returns for others.
Prosecutors say Cynthia’s Tax Service prepares returns for customers who report false income and expense amounts and falsely claim several tax credits, including the first-time-homebuyer credit.
The Justice Department charges that Carter claimed first-time-homebuyer credit on her customers’ returns even though the customers had not bought new homes in those tax years and were ineligible for the credit.
Carter could not be reached for comment.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- News The Way You Want It!