Justice Department investigating Golden Triangle tax preparer
by Associated Press
Published: March 21,2012
COLUMBUS — The Justice Department is seeking to shut down a tax preparer, who runs a business in Columbus.
Yesterday, federal prosecutors said they filed a federal civil injunction suit to bar Cynthia H. Carter from preparing federal tax returns for others.
Prosecutors say Cynthia’s Tax Service prepares returns for customers who report false income and expense amounts and falsely claim several tax credits, including the first-time-homebuyer credit.
The Justice Department charges that Carter claimed first-time-homebuyer credit on her customers’ returns even though the customers had not bought new homes in those tax years and were ineligible for the credit.
Carter could not be reached for comment.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability