Justice Department investigating Golden Triangle tax preparer
Published: March 21,2012
COLUMBUS — The Justice Department is seeking to shut down a tax preparer, who runs a business in Columbus.
Yesterday, federal prosecutors said they filed a federal civil injunction suit to bar Cynthia H. Carter from preparing federal tax returns for others.
Prosecutors say Cynthia’s Tax Service prepares returns for customers who report false income and expense amounts and falsely claim several tax credits, including the first-time-homebuyer credit.
The Justice Department charges that Carter claimed first-time-homebuyer credit on her customers’ returns even though the customers had not bought new homes in those tax years and were ineligible for the credit.
Carter could not be reached for comment.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- Margaritaville owner files for bankruptcy before landlord hearing
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- Severstal completes the sale of Columbus plant to Steel Dynamics
- Another marker going up on Mississippi Country Music Trail
- Researchers fly drone into hurricane for the first time
- House votes for transfer of Yellow Creek Port land to state