Mycoskie says start something new
by Lynn Lofton
Published: March 25,2012
Love your work, work for what you love, and change the world — all at the same time. That’s a pretty tall order! Blake Mycoskie is the young entrepreneur behind the sky rocketing success of TOMS shoes (Tomorrow’s Shoes). He proves that we don’t have to choose between earning a living and devoting efforts to causes that inspire. That’s the break-through message of TOMS’ One for One Movement. You don’t have to be rich to give back and you don’t have to retire to spend every day doing what you love.
TOMS is one of the fastest growing shoe companies in the world, having started in 2006 with an unusual and creative business plan. The company runs on this plan: when a customer buys a pair of shoes, a needy child receives a free pair of shoes. In the book, Mycoskie writes about how his unusual idea became a reality. Now his shoes are a household name and his inspiration has been a major influence on new business start ups.
“I read a Wall Street Journal review of “Start Something That Matters” and the reviewer peaked my interest about the TOMS marketing concepts,” said Lemuria Bookstore owner John Evans. “I got a copy and started being a believer. So much so that the book became my main Christmas present for 2011.”
Evans also says the book is designed to be stimulating and reader friendly. “This is not surprising since TOMS is user and customer friendly as a company,” he said. “TOMS also has a business plan to encourage more reading. Fifty percent of Blake’s proceeds from this book will be used to provide access to new books for children in need.”
In the book, Mycoskie presents the six simple keys for creating or transforming your own life and business; from discovering your core story to being resourceful without resources; from overcoming fear and doubt to incorporating giving into every aspect of your life. No matter what kind of change you’re considering, the book gives you the stories, ideas and practical tips that can help you get started.
— Lynn Lofton, firstname.lastname@example.org
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- New boutique hotel to replace Oxford’s Downtown Inn
- Coast city to repay BP grant funding for Ocean Expo
- Eye clinic operator faces Medicaid fraud charges
- Mega-load move could cause traffic issues
- New owners plan cautious change for Highland Village
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- Judge to weigh Hood's credit card issuer lawsuit
- Blue Origin successfully tests BE-3 rocket engine
- Allain to lie in repose at Capital Friday; funeral Saturday in Natchez
- Northrop Grumman begins production of five NATO drones