Mycoskie says start something new
by Lynn Lofton
Published: March 25,2012
Love your work, work for what you love, and change the world — all at the same time. That’s a pretty tall order! Blake Mycoskie is the young entrepreneur behind the sky rocketing success of TOMS shoes (Tomorrow’s Shoes). He proves that we don’t have to choose between earning a living and devoting efforts to causes that inspire. That’s the break-through message of TOMS’ One for One Movement. You don’t have to be rich to give back and you don’t have to retire to spend every day doing what you love.
TOMS is one of the fastest growing shoe companies in the world, having started in 2006 with an unusual and creative business plan. The company runs on this plan: when a customer buys a pair of shoes, a needy child receives a free pair of shoes. In the book, Mycoskie writes about how his unusual idea became a reality. Now his shoes are a household name and his inspiration has been a major influence on new business start ups.
“I read a Wall Street Journal review of “Start Something That Matters” and the reviewer peaked my interest about the TOMS marketing concepts,” said Lemuria Bookstore owner John Evans. “I got a copy and started being a believer. So much so that the book became my main Christmas present for 2011.”
Evans also says the book is designed to be stimulating and reader friendly. “This is not surprising since TOMS is user and customer friendly as a company,” he said. “TOMS also has a business plan to encourage more reading. Fifty percent of Blake’s proceeds from this book will be used to provide access to new books for children in need.”
In the book, Mycoskie presents the six simple keys for creating or transforming your own life and business; from discovering your core story to being resourceful without resources; from overcoming fear and doubt to incorporating giving into every aspect of your life. No matter what kind of change you’re considering, the book gives you the stories, ideas and practical tips that can help you get started.
— Lynn Lofton, email@example.com
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody