Former Oxford Mayor Leslie to be buried tomorrow
Published: March 26,2012
OXFORD — Gravesite services are scheduled tomorrow for John Leslie, the former longtime mayor of Oxford, who died Saturday at the Mississippi Veterans Home in Oxford. He was 88.
Leslie served six terms as mayor and worked as a pharmacist in Oxford for 38 years.
Officials with Waller Funeral Homes said today that a graveside memorial service will be tomorrow at 1 p.m. in Oxford Memorial Cemetery.
A World War II veteran, Leslie graduated from the University of Mississippi.
While mayor, the city built a public library, a new police station, the first public swimming pool, as well as the John Leslie Tennis Courts and Activity Center. The city also helped build a baseball facility at Ole Miss.
Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth; two daughters, a son and nine grandchildren.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- HUNTER ARNOLD: Mississippi, Gulf Coast states focus on global business markets
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- Starkville's Cotton Mill Marketplace hotel breaks ground Wednesday
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- AWAITING ITS FATE: Gables complex may have to shrink to meet law
- DAVID DALLAS — Roger Wicker: Profile in discouragement