Former Oxford Mayor Leslie to be buried tomorrow
Published: March 26,2012
OXFORD — Gravesite services are scheduled tomorrow for John Leslie, the former longtime mayor of Oxford, who died Saturday at the Mississippi Veterans Home in Oxford. He was 88.
Leslie served six terms as mayor and worked as a pharmacist in Oxford for 38 years.
Officials with Waller Funeral Homes said today that a graveside memorial service will be tomorrow at 1 p.m. in Oxford Memorial Cemetery.
A World War II veteran, Leslie graduated from the University of Mississippi.
While mayor, the city built a public library, a new police station, the first public swimming pool, as well as the John Leslie Tennis Courts and Activity Center. The city also helped build a baseball facility at Ole Miss.
Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth; two daughters, a son and nine grandchildren.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- 2014 a good year for filmmaking in Mississippi
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- PHIL HARDWICK: When Bill Cooley talks, people listen
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- MBJ Business Woman of the Year Top 10
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- Meet the MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year — Rosemary Smith, a business hotshot