Former Oxford Mayor Leslie to be buried tomorrow
by Associated Press
Published: March 26,2012
OXFORD — Gravesite services are scheduled tomorrow for John Leslie, the former longtime mayor of Oxford, who died Saturday at the Mississippi Veterans Home in Oxford. He was 88.
Leslie served six terms as mayor and worked as a pharmacist in Oxford for 38 years.
Officials with Waller Funeral Homes said today that a graveside memorial service will be tomorrow at 1 p.m. in Oxford Memorial Cemetery.
A World War II veteran, Leslie graduated from the University of Mississippi.
While mayor, the city built a public library, a new police station, the first public swimming pool, as well as the John Leslie Tennis Courts and Activity Center. The city also helped build a baseball facility at Ole Miss.
Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth; two daughters, a son and nine grandchildren.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- UPDATED: House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute