Former Oxford Mayor Leslie to be buried tomorrow
Published: March 26,2012
OXFORD — Gravesite services are scheduled tomorrow for John Leslie, the former longtime mayor of Oxford, who died Saturday at the Mississippi Veterans Home in Oxford. He was 88.
Leslie served six terms as mayor and worked as a pharmacist in Oxford for 38 years.
Officials with Waller Funeral Homes said today that a graveside memorial service will be tomorrow at 1 p.m. in Oxford Memorial Cemetery.
A World War II veteran, Leslie graduated from the University of Mississippi.
While mayor, the city built a public library, a new police station, the first public swimming pool, as well as the John Leslie Tennis Courts and Activity Center. The city also helped build a baseball facility at Ole Miss.
Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth; two daughters, a son and nine grandchildren.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- College Board names Glenn Boyce as higher education chief
- TRANSITION AT THE MDA — Is Mississippi better off than it was 3 years ago?
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- Deepwater Horizon Five Years Later — Restoring the Mississippi coast starts with a strong foundation
- PHIL HARDWICK: The third grade reading gate, book buddies and school principals
- Chancery Court’s interpretation of ‘public use’ will guide ruling on Westin money
- THE SPIN CYCLE — Key results from Pew’s social media survey
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)