Former Oxford Mayor Leslie to be buried tomorrow
Published: March 26,2012
OXFORD — Gravesite services are scheduled tomorrow for John Leslie, the former longtime mayor of Oxford, who died Saturday at the Mississippi Veterans Home in Oxford. He was 88.
Leslie served six terms as mayor and worked as a pharmacist in Oxford for 38 years.
Officials with Waller Funeral Homes said today that a graveside memorial service will be tomorrow at 1 p.m. in Oxford Memorial Cemetery.
A World War II veteran, Leslie graduated from the University of Mississippi.
While mayor, the city built a public library, a new police station, the first public swimming pool, as well as the John Leslie Tennis Courts and Activity Center. The city also helped build a baseball facility at Ole Miss.
Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth; two daughters, a son and nine grandchildren.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Statue depicts famous duel that originated 'Bowie knife'