Mathews replacing Phelps
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 8,2012
Ashton Phelps Jr., publisher of New Orleans’ The Times-Picayune for more than 30 years, will retire and be succeeded by Ricky Mathews. Mathews is president of Alabama and Mississippi operations of Advance Publications. Advance owns The Times-Picayune, The Mobile (Ala.) Press-Register, The Birmingham (Ala.) News, The Huntsville (Ala.) Times and the Mississippi Press.
In statements posted at websites of The Times-Picayune and The Mobile Press-Register, the newspapers said Mathews would take over when Phelps, 66, retires later this year.
Phelps has been publisher of The Times-Picayune since 1979. Five generations of his family have been associated with the 175-year-old newspaper.
Mathews, 54, previously was publisher of The Sun Herald in Biloxi.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs