Mathews replacing Phelps
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 8,2012
Ashton Phelps Jr., publisher of New Orleans’ The Times-Picayune for more than 30 years, will retire and be succeeded by Ricky Mathews. Mathews is president of Alabama and Mississippi operations of Advance Publications. Advance owns The Times-Picayune, The Mobile (Ala.) Press-Register, The Birmingham (Ala.) News, The Huntsville (Ala.) Times and the Mississippi Press.
In statements posted at websites of The Times-Picayune and The Mobile Press-Register, the newspapers said Mathews would take over when Phelps, 66, retires later this year.
Phelps has been publisher of The Times-Picayune since 1979. Five generations of his family have been associated with the 175-year-old newspaper.
Mathews, 54, previously was publisher of The Sun Herald in Biloxi.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Lawmakers move on bonds despite complaints from colleges and universities
- Cal-Maine income skyrockets as prices rise and costs shrink
- Business groups file briefs in support of Kemper coal plant rehearing
- DAVID DALLAS — Just how long can Dan stand?