Mathews replacing Phelps
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 8,2012
Ashton Phelps Jr., publisher of New Orleans’ The Times-Picayune for more than 30 years, will retire and be succeeded by Ricky Mathews. Mathews is president of Alabama and Mississippi operations of Advance Publications. Advance owns The Times-Picayune, The Mobile (Ala.) Press-Register, The Birmingham (Ala.) News, The Huntsville (Ala.) Times and the Mississippi Press.
In statements posted at websites of The Times-Picayune and The Mobile Press-Register, the newspapers said Mathews would take over when Phelps, 66, retires later this year.
Phelps has been publisher of The Times-Picayune since 1979. Five generations of his family have been associated with the 175-year-old newspaper.
Mathews, 54, previously was publisher of The Sun Herald in Biloxi.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015