Mathews replacing Phelps
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 8,2012
Ashton Phelps Jr., publisher of New Orleans’ The Times-Picayune for more than 30 years, will retire and be succeeded by Ricky Mathews. Mathews is president of Alabama and Mississippi operations of Advance Publications. Advance owns The Times-Picayune, The Mobile (Ala.) Press-Register, The Birmingham (Ala.) News, The Huntsville (Ala.) Times and the Mississippi Press.
In statements posted at websites of The Times-Picayune and The Mobile Press-Register, the newspapers said Mathews would take over when Phelps, 66, retires later this year.
Phelps has been publisher of The Times-Picayune since 1979. Five generations of his family have been associated with the 175-year-old newspaper.
Mathews, 54, previously was publisher of The Sun Herald in Biloxi.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter
- Ex-Delta mayor indicted, accused of stealing city property
- Cochran's legal counsel asks Court to toss McDaniel's lawsuit
- Williams-Sonoma expanding, adding nearly 1,000 jobs
- More than half-dozen groups file charter school applications
- Ex-baliff wants pay or her job back after termination
- State Rep. Patterson switches from Democrats to GOP
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015