USM to offer new doctor of nursing practice degree
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 11,2012
HATTIESBURG — The School of Nursing at the University of Southern Mississippi will soon take a giant leap in healthcare education and training by offering the state’s first degree-granting nurse anesthesia program.
The new program will include 36 consecutive months of study and award a doctor of nursing practice (DNP) degree. School of Nursing officials hope to receive final approval from the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs in October with classes set to begin in January 2013.
“The benefit of this type of program to residents of Mississippi is access to an in-state nurse anesthesia program which will eliminate out-of-state tuition expenses,” said Dr. Vickie Stuart, nurse anesthesia program director and assistant clinical professor at Southern Miss. “The nurse anesthesia program will benefit Southern Miss by strengthening the partnerships between the university and the health community.”
According to Stuart, the new program’s mission is to supply doctoral prepared graduates with the advanced knowledge in the area of clinical specialization of nurse anesthesia. The DNP prepares the certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA) to assume leadership positions in education, management and patient care by offering a curriculum concentrating on quality assessment and improvement, health care systems and organizations, leadership, best evidence of practice, health policy and health care economics.
Hattiesburg’s Forrest General Hospital will serve as the primary clinical site for the students in the nurse anesthesia program. Stuart points out that Southern Miss will accept up to 20 students per year in the program.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren