Late alumna Sciacca endows scholarship at UM School of Pharmacy
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 12,2012
OXFORD — The University of Mississippi School of Pharmacy is offering a new scholarship thanks to the generosity of the late Madeline O. Sciacca of Slidell, La., who remembered her alma mater in her will.
Sciacca, who obtained her pharmacy degree from UM in 1953, left $400,000 to the Ole Miss School of Pharmacy to create the Madeline Occhipinti Sciacca Memorial Scholarship Endowment.
To honor the gift, Sciacca’s 1953 diploma and a plaque bearing her name have been placed in the pharmacy building.
Sciacca practiced pharmacy at Walgreens in downtown New Orleans for years. After retiring in the 1970s, she began buying rental properties and buying and selling real estate. In 2001, shortly after Barbara G. Wells became dean of the Ole Miss pharmacy school, Sciacca contacted her and said she wanted to leave some money to the school for scholarships.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Counties ‘hoping to get it right’ as they await Tuscaloosa Marine shale boom
- PSC’s Mississippi Power probe continues as regulators mull next move
- Stabenow, Cochran brace for full Senate vote on Farm Bill
- Department of Environmental Quality developing water sources plan
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Stacey Pickering wins Patriot Award
- Officials hoping quail numbers will rebound
- OUR VIEW: USM makes right call by calling off tornado relief campaign