Former Tchula Mayor Brown has died
Published: April 24,2012
JACKSON — Former Tchula Mayor Yvonne R. Brown, the first black Republican female mayor in Mississippi, has died.
Officials at Century Funeral Home in Yazoo City confirmed Brown died Monday but had no other details. A funeral service is scheduled for 10 a.m. Saturday at New Jerusalem Church in Jackson.
Brown served as Tchula’s mayor from 2001 to 2009. She stood out in a heavily Democratic town that, according to the 2010 census, had a population of about 2,100 that was about 97 percent black.
She also was the Republican nominee for Congress in Mississippi’s 2nd Congressional District in 2006, losing to Democratic incumbent Bennie Thompson.
She served as a delegate to the Republican National Convention in 2004.
A list of survivors was not available.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Fair cabins becoming more valuable, sources say
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Tyler Raborn finds success and fulfillment with Raborn Media
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau