Former Tchula Mayor Brown has died
Published: April 24,2012
JACKSON — Former Tchula Mayor Yvonne R. Brown, the first black Republican female mayor in Mississippi, has died.
Officials at Century Funeral Home in Yazoo City confirmed Brown died Monday but had no other details. A funeral service is scheduled for 10 a.m. Saturday at New Jerusalem Church in Jackson.
Brown served as Tchula’s mayor from 2001 to 2009. She stood out in a heavily Democratic town that, according to the 2010 census, had a population of about 2,100 that was about 97 percent black.
She also was the Republican nominee for Congress in Mississippi’s 2nd Congressional District in 2006, losing to Democratic incumbent Bennie Thompson.
She served as a delegate to the Republican National Convention in 2004.
A list of survivors was not available.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Court rules board can discipline West Virginia radiologist
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Legislators begin work on FY2016 state budget
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter