Former Tchula Mayor Brown has died
by Associated Press
Published: April 24,2012
JACKSON — Former Tchula Mayor Yvonne R. Brown, the first black Republican female mayor in Mississippi, has died.
Officials at Century Funeral Home in Yazoo City confirmed Brown died Monday but had no other details. A funeral service is scheduled for 10 a.m. Saturday at New Jerusalem Church in Jackson.
Brown served as Tchula’s mayor from 2001 to 2009. She stood out in a heavily Democratic town that, according to the 2010 census, had a population of about 2,100 that was about 97 percent black.
She also was the Republican nominee for Congress in Mississippi’s 2nd Congressional District in 2006, losing to Democratic incumbent Bennie Thompson.
She served as a delegate to the Republican National Convention in 2004.
A list of survivors was not available.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- UPDATED: House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case