Former Tchula Mayor Brown has died
Published: April 24,2012
JACKSON — Former Tchula Mayor Yvonne R. Brown, the first black Republican female mayor in Mississippi, has died.
Officials at Century Funeral Home in Yazoo City confirmed Brown died Monday but had no other details. A funeral service is scheduled for 10 a.m. Saturday at New Jerusalem Church in Jackson.
Brown served as Tchula’s mayor from 2001 to 2009. She stood out in a heavily Democratic town that, according to the 2010 census, had a population of about 2,100 that was about 97 percent black.
She also was the Republican nominee for Congress in Mississippi’s 2nd Congressional District in 2006, losing to Democratic incumbent Bennie Thompson.
She served as a delegate to the Republican National Convention in 2004.
A list of survivors was not available.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- Judge moves McDaniel's lawsuit challenging loss to Cochran
- Senate election ballot approved as McDaniel's challenge continues
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Inspectors find 'hot work' was cause of fatal explosion at fish plant
- Ground broken for new Hattiesburg Clinic facility