Biloxi supports return of Amtrak passenger trains
by Associated Press
Published: April 25,2012
Members of the Biloxi City Council approved a resolution Tuesday.
Right now on the coast, train service is exclusively the transportation of freight.
Biloxi officials say the Gulf Coast region is isolated from the nation’s passenger train system.
In late August 2005, service between New Orleans and Orlando, Fla., was suspended following the lingering effects of Hurricane Katrina.
City spokesman Vincent Creel says tracks have been repaired so Amtrak could renew passenger service.
Creel says passenger service could be good for tourism, including the casino industry and offer area residents another transportation option.
Creel says the mayor of Tallahassee, Fla., has been promoted resumption of the Sunset Limited.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- MDA introduces new 'Mississippi Homecoming' tourism ad campaign
- MSU Foundation names five new members
- Crowded field lines up for Jackson mayoral election
- Cochran questions nominee concerning Stanford ponzi scheme
- Another fiberhood qualifies for C Spire 1-gigabit Internet service
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county