Board rejects all bids for construction of new school
Published: April 26,2012
OXFORD — The Oxford School Board has rejected all bids for the construction of the new high school.
The high school’s construction is the centerpiece of the district’s building program.
Schools Superintendent Brian Harvey tells the Oxford Eagle the board has no authority to negotiate with any contractor and can only accept the project as bid.
“This left us outside of the range of what we can afford. The only thing left is to reject the bids. There is nothing else we can do. We cannot afford the amount of either of the bids,” Harvey said.
Plans to build the new high school for about $30 million hit a snag after construction bids came back in March for around $37 million to $41 million. The bids did not include the cost of constructing a new performing arts building.
The cost of new athletic fields was never part of the bid. They are planned for future construction.
The school board has since allocated $34 million for the high school and will meet May 3 to discuss the next steps.
The attorney general’s office said the district could alter the amount allocated before the bids go out again.
An attorney general’s opinion does not carry the weight of law but is designed to provide public entities a level of protection in court.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force