Supreme Court rules against St. Dominic in hospital dispute
Published: April 27,2012
MADISON — St. Dominic Health Systems’ legal efforts to locate a medical facility in Madison failed yesterday before the Mississippi Supreme Court.
St. Dominic wanted to relocate 71 beds from its Jackson campus to a sprawling, $121 million Madison hospital that would include a huge public park.
In 2010, Chancery Judge Cynthia Brewer of Madison County ruled what St. Dominic proposed was not a relocation of beds but a new hospital. State health officials had earlier denied approval of the project.
Yesterday, Supreme Court Justice Leslie King said St. Dominic was attempting to build a mini version of its Jackson hospital. The court said the wide range of services St. Dominic planned to offer was evidence that the proposed project was a new, fully functioning, free-standing, general acute-care hospital.
“This case is a classic example of wants versus needs. St. Dominic wants to build a hospital in Madison County but, currently, the need does not exist,” King wrote.
It was St. Dominic’s third attempt to open a facility in Madison County.
St. Dominic’s proposal was opposed by Health Management Associates, owner of the Madison County Medical Center in Canton. HMA’s new hospital is located off Interstate 55 in Madison County.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Supreme Court rules against St. Dominic in hospital dispute”
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years