Universities to confer most degrees in history this spring
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 27,2012
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — For the first time, Mississippi’s eight public universities will confer more than 10,000 degrees during spring commencement ceremonies. This is according to the State Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL).
The degrees conferred include 7,515 undergraduate degrees and 2,571 graduate degrees, for a total of 10,088 diplomas awarded.
“Conferring more than 10,000 degrees during spring commencement is an important milestone for Mississippi Public Universities,” said Dr. Hank M. Bounds, commissioner of higher education. “Our universities have put a laser focus on improving retention and graduation rates and this serves as an indication that those efforts are paying off. Increasing the number of Mississippians holding a post-secondary credential will increase economic development and improve the quality of life in our state.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Retired judge to hear McDaniel's challenge of primary loss to Cochran
- PSC's Brandon Presley calls in-state nuclear waste dump a 'harebrained scheme'
- Former DMR manager pleads guilty to embezzlement
- State's jobless rate remains highest in U.S.
- GOLF ranks state's courses; Fallen Oaks, Dancing Rabbit make top 100
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Court ruling on Section 42 leaves taxpayers on hook for tax repayments
- Wisconsin man pleads guilty to illegal wildlife trapping
- Jackson air fares among most expensive in the nation