Universities to confer most degrees in history this spring
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 27,2012
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — For the first time, Mississippi’s eight public universities will confer more than 10,000 degrees during spring commencement ceremonies. This is according to the State Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL).
The degrees conferred include 7,515 undergraduate degrees and 2,571 graduate degrees, for a total of 10,088 diplomas awarded.
“Conferring more than 10,000 degrees during spring commencement is an important milestone for Mississippi Public Universities,” said Dr. Hank M. Bounds, commissioner of higher education. “Our universities have put a laser focus on improving retention and graduation rates and this serves as an indication that those efforts are paying off. Increasing the number of Mississippians holding a post-secondary credential will increase economic development and improve the quality of life in our state.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- Alcorn's finances being investigated; CFO resigns
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- GOP Sen. Thad Cochran to run for seventh term
- State granted delay in implementing teacher evaluations
- Officials hand mayor projects list totaling $57.7M
- Town given Obamacare insurance break, but faces additional costs in 2015
- Public meeting called to mull future of convention center