Universities to confer most degrees in history this spring
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 27,2012
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — For the first time, Mississippi’s eight public universities will confer more than 10,000 degrees during spring commencement ceremonies. This is according to the State Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL).
The degrees conferred include 7,515 undergraduate degrees and 2,571 graduate degrees, for a total of 10,088 diplomas awarded.
“Conferring more than 10,000 degrees during spring commencement is an important milestone for Mississippi Public Universities,” said Dr. Hank M. Bounds, commissioner of higher education. “Our universities have put a laser focus on improving retention and graduation rates and this serves as an indication that those efforts are paying off. Increasing the number of Mississippians holding a post-secondary credential will increase economic development and improve the quality of life in our state.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal