Universities to confer most degrees in history this spring
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 27,2012
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — For the first time, Mississippi’s eight public universities will confer more than 10,000 degrees during spring commencement ceremonies. This is according to the State Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL).
The degrees conferred include 7,515 undergraduate degrees and 2,571 graduate degrees, for a total of 10,088 diplomas awarded.
“Conferring more than 10,000 degrees during spring commencement is an important milestone for Mississippi Public Universities,” said Dr. Hank M. Bounds, commissioner of higher education. “Our universities have put a laser focus on improving retention and graduation rates and this serves as an indication that those efforts are paying off. Increasing the number of Mississippians holding a post-secondary credential will increase economic development and improve the quality of life in our state.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — Just how long can Dan stand?
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- Chancery judge delays JRA bond approval for Jackson's Westin hotel
- KILL BILL: Common Core death knell heads to Gov. Bryant's desk
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Keeping our eye on: Neal Stephens
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Cal-Maine income skyrockets as prices rise and costs shrink
- Business groups file briefs in support of Kemper coal plant rehearing