Universities to confer most degrees in history this spring
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 27,2012
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — For the first time, Mississippi’s eight public universities will confer more than 10,000 degrees during spring commencement ceremonies. This is according to the State Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL).
The degrees conferred include 7,515 undergraduate degrees and 2,571 graduate degrees, for a total of 10,088 diplomas awarded.
“Conferring more than 10,000 degrees during spring commencement is an important milestone for Mississippi Public Universities,” said Dr. Hank M. Bounds, commissioner of higher education. “Our universities have put a laser focus on improving retention and graduation rates and this serves as an indication that those efforts are paying off. Increasing the number of Mississippians holding a post-secondary credential will increase economic development and improve the quality of life in our state.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Hunting-weapons legislation passes House