River Oaks physician performs new surgery for first time in state
by MBJ Staff
Published: April 30,2012
FLOWOOD — River Oaks Hospital reports it is pioneering the use of a minimally invasive surgical device to treat the sacroiliac (SI) joint. Dr. Winston Capel, a neurosurgeon, has performed the state’s first SI joint fusion surgery at River Oaks Hospital using the minimally-invasive iFuse Implant System, according to the hospital.
Capel, who according to River Oaks is the only surgeon in Mississippi currently trained to perform this surgery, said the procedure is ideal for patients with unresolved low back symptoms related to the SI joint.
“The entire process is done through a small incision that, unlike traditional back surgery, involves minimal soft tissue injury. Patients are generally discharged from the hospital the day following surgery and typically resume daily living activities within six weeks,” Capel said.
The iFuse Implant System provides fusion for the SI joint through the insertion of small titanium implants.
Capel said ideal candidates for the new procedure are those that either do not respond well to medications and/or physical therapy, or have not experienced long-lasting pain relief from less-invasive therapies. A series of tests to determine the cause and source of pain must be performed prior to undergoing the procedure.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics