Coast CVB invites county to join in promoting tourism
Published: May 8,2012
Tags: advertising, board of supervisors, bureau, convention and visitors bureaus, Conventions, county government, marketing, meets, promotional, promotions, regionalism, supervisors, tourism, tourists, vacations, visitors
JACKSON COUNTY — The Mississippi Gulf Coast Convention & Visitors Bureau has invited Jackson County to join Harrison and Hancock counties in tourism promotion.
Beth Carriere, executive director of the bureau, presented a memorandum of understanding to the Board of Supervisors yester, according to The Mississippi Press.
“We would hope that Jackson County would want to join in with the other counties and get to work with us officially on marketing the Mississippi Gulf Coast as one destination,” Carriere said.
The bureau didn’t get an immediate answer. The supervisors directed the board attorney to look over the memorandum and address the issue within the month.
The bureau is currently operating on a budget of $3 million a year from Harrison County, collected from a 2.25 percent lodging and sales tax, and an additional $2,500 a month from Hancock County.
It was unclear how much Jackson County would be asked to contribute to the bureau’s efforts.
When Supervisor John McKay asked Carriere about costs, she said she was more concerned at that point for the county to have a voice in promoting tourism.
“We officially will become marketing partners and you will have a voice in the process,” Carriere said.
Carriere discussed the bureau’s “Play Your Way” print and television campaign, and said the bureau is getting ready to offer a Club Gulf Coast loyalty card and a “Join the Search” campaign this summer.
A map that will be distributed to visitor destinations across the coast will show the area from Louisiana line to the Alabama line with no county lines visible.
“Visitors don’t question what county they are in. They are just concerned with the attraction,” Carriere said.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Health officials identify another case of chikungunya virus
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency