USM breaks ground on business program building
Published: May 11,2012
Tags: Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, Bay St. Louis, Dr. James T. Tisdale, gulf of mexico, JACKSON, Joseph Green Hall, Lance Nail, M.M. Roberts Stadium, Master of Business Administration, Master of Professional Accountancy, McCarty Hall, Mississippi, Mississippi Business Journal, Ole Miss, Scianna Hall, Southern Miss, The School of Business for Mississippi, U.S. News & World Report, University of Mississippi, University of Southern Mississippi
HATTIESBURG — The University of Southern Mississippi is starting construction on a new home for its College of Business.
Officials broke ground Thursday for Scianna Hall, a 93,000-square-foot building that will face U.S. Highway 49.
The facility is expected to be ready in two years and will replace the business program’s current home, Joseph Greene Hall, which opened in 1967.
The new building is named for Southern Miss alumnus Charles “Chuck” Scianna, who committed $6 million toward the estimated $30 million cost. The university says his donation is the largest one-time gift to the USM Foundation by an alumnus.
Scianna is president of Sim-Tex, L.P. in Waller, Texas. He’s a native of Bay St. Louis, Miss., and earned his bachelor’s degree from USM in 1975.
The business program has about 2,200 students.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- Great River Industries moving headquarters to Natchez
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Leadership in Law nomination form