USM breaks ground on business program building
by Associated Press
Published: May 11,2012
Tags: Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, Bay St. Louis, Dr. James T. Tisdale, gulf of mexico, JACKSON, Joseph Green Hall, Lance Nail, M.M. Roberts Stadium, Master of Business Administration, Master of Professional Accountancy, McCarty Hall, Mississippi, Mississippi Business Journal, Ole Miss, Scianna Hall, Southern Miss, The School of Business for Mississippi, U.S. News & World Report, University of Mississippi, University of Southern Mississippi
HATTIESBURG — The University of Southern Mississippi is starting construction on a new home for its College of Business.
Officials broke ground Thursday for Scianna Hall, a 93,000-square-foot building that will face U.S. Highway 49.
The facility is expected to be ready in two years and will replace the business program’s current home, Joseph Greene Hall, which opened in 1967.
The new building is named for Southern Miss alumnus Charles “Chuck” Scianna, who committed $6 million toward the estimated $30 million cost. The university says his donation is the largest one-time gift to the USM Foundation by an alumnus.
Scianna is president of Sim-Tex, L.P. in Waller, Texas. He’s a native of Bay St. Louis, Miss., and earned his bachelor’s degree from USM in 1975.
The business program has about 2,200 students.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody