ATK first module to NASA made completely from composites
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 13,2012
IUKA — Alliant Techsystems (ATK) has delivered a technological first to NASA — a full-scale, crew module structure made of composite materials.
The Composite Crew Module (CCM) is a unique capsule design that has the potential to reduce the overall weight of future manned launch vehicles.
Full-scale structural testing will be performed at NASA’s Langley Research Center to determine the strength and viability of the composite structure. During the destructive testing, the CCM will be placed under load conditions similar to those observed during launch, on-orbit, landing, and abort scenarios.
Led by the NASA Engineering and Safety Center (NESC), ATK, was part of a team of NASA and industry experts who designed and fabricated the CCM to demonstrate how composite materials could be used to develop a pressurized space capsule. ATK is a major composite manufacturer and supplier for modern military and commercial aircraft, and space launch vehicles. ATK provided composites design, analysis, manufacturing and assembly expertise for the CCM program.
Fabricated and assembled at ATK’s Iuka facility, the CCM combines some of the most advanced composite manufacturing technologies in use today. Constructed in two primary sections, the upper and lower shells are joined together with a splice joint and cured using out-of-autoclave technology. The bonding of the composite assemblies and integration of metal hardware were achieved by combining existing technology and ATK’s innovative manufacturing processes.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Barbour to lead Butler Snow economic development firm
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- Delta State conference brings renowned speakers
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- (UPDATE) Judge rules on Google request on attorney general inquiry