Railroad company establishes new scholarship at USM Gulf Coast
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 15,2012
LONG BEACH and MOSS POINT — In celebration of its 90th anniversary, Mississippi Export Railroad Company has established the Mississippi Export Railroad Gulf Coast Scholarship Endowment with a gift of $50,000 to the University of Southern Mississippi Foundation.
“Moss Point, Miss., has been the home of Mississippi Export Railroad for 90 years,” said Greg Luce, president and chairman of the board at Mississippi Export Railroad and member of the Southern Miss class of 1966. “In recognition of our anniversary, we wanted to give back to the coastal community by offering financial assistance to those pursuing a higher education.
“The University of Southern Mississippi Gulf Coast has specific needs for their students, and we have a desire to help them grow and succeed as a premier research university of the Gulf South. We are very excited about the partnership.”
The scholarship will be awarded to a student enrolled in any program at USM Gulf Coast.
In 1922 the late Gregory M. Luce, great grandfather of the current president and chairman of the board, purchased the defunct Alabama & Mississippi Railroad. The railroad was shortened from 84 to 42 miles and renamed Mississippi Export Railroad Company.
Soon after, the railroad began serving the paper mill near Moss Point and eventually facilitated the return of log trains to the rails in south Mississippi.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Hunting-weapons legislation passes House
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years