Railroad company establishes new scholarship at USM Gulf Coast
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 15,2012
LONG BEACH and MOSS POINT — In celebration of its 90th anniversary, Mississippi Export Railroad Company has established the Mississippi Export Railroad Gulf Coast Scholarship Endowment with a gift of $50,000 to the University of Southern Mississippi Foundation.
“Moss Point, Miss., has been the home of Mississippi Export Railroad for 90 years,” said Greg Luce, president and chairman of the board at Mississippi Export Railroad and member of the Southern Miss class of 1966. “In recognition of our anniversary, we wanted to give back to the coastal community by offering financial assistance to those pursuing a higher education.
“The University of Southern Mississippi Gulf Coast has specific needs for their students, and we have a desire to help them grow and succeed as a premier research university of the Gulf South. We are very excited about the partnership.”
The scholarship will be awarded to a student enrolled in any program at USM Gulf Coast.
In 1922 the late Gregory M. Luce, great grandfather of the current president and chairman of the board, purchased the defunct Alabama & Mississippi Railroad. The railroad was shortened from 84 to 42 miles and renamed Mississippi Export Railroad Company.
Soon after, the railroad began serving the paper mill near Moss Point and eventually facilitated the return of log trains to the rails in south Mississippi.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability