Buffett attends certification meeting for Magaritaville Casino
Published: May 17,2012
JACKSON — Jimmy Buffett says creating jobs on the Gulf Coast is a rewarding part of his new Margaritaville Casino and Resort in Mississippi.
Buffett was in Jackson today when the Mississippi Gaming Commission signed off the certification for the casino, set to open next Tuesday in Biloxi.
The meeting was a formality. Gaming Commission Chairman Jerry St. Pe told Buffett and his business partner, John Cohlan, the casino had already been found suitable for certification.
Buffett told the board the casino will be fun but also will bring “a thousand new jobs to the Gulf Coast at a time they’re needed.”
After the meeting, Buffett wouldn’t say if he’ll perform at the opening, but pointed out that he’s “a shameless musician and coming home seems like a party to me.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Silver Airways ordered to continue service
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Bryant signs controversial abortion ban bill
- Two Delta groups getting economic development funding
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- Plans unveiled for large shooting range on Coast
- Soybean yield more than doubles in less than a decade
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor