UMMC welcomes cardiologist
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 20,2012
Myrna Ellen Alexander Nickens, the first female interventional cardiologist in Mississippi, has joined the University of Mississippi Medical Center faculty as an associate professor of medicine. A 1978 graduate of Tougaloo College, Alexander Nickens received the M.D. from Meharry Medical College, Nashville, Tenn., in 1982. She did an internal medicine internship from 1982-83, an internal medicine residency from 1983-85, a cardiology fellowship from 1989-92 and an interventional cardiology fellowship from 1992-93 at Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Mich.
A staff physician in public health services for Samaritan Health Systems in Detroit from 1985-89, Alexander Nickens served on the Henry Ford Hospital staff from 1993-95 as an interventional/clinical cardiologist academic instructor and associate director of the Cardiology Inpatient Unit. She has served as a clinical clerkship mentor for residents and students at UMMC since 1995.
A member of several professional organizations, including the American College of Cardiology, the American Medical Association and the Association of Black Cardiology, Alexander Nickens is the coauthor of four peer-reviewed professional publications.
She has an interest in heart disease in women, valvular heart disease and preventive cardiology for all ages above 15 years of age.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Analysts hail BancorpSouth stock buyback as ‘handsome’ reward for shareholders