City looking to push out closer to highway bypass
Published: May 21,2012
OKOLONA — Okolona officials want to push the city limits out closer to the U.S. 45 Bypass.
Mayor Louise Cole tells the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal moving the city limits eastward to within about a tenth of a mile of the bypass might attract a hotel and restaurant to the area.
Robert Shinn, who lives along Mississippi 41 East in the path of the proposed annexation, says he sees no value to the proposal. He says the city will be faced with the expense of providing city services to that area should annexation continue.
Shinn says he doesn’t think the city services he would get would offset the increase in city taxes he would have to pay.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Hosemann to launch crowd funding program