City looking to push out closer to highway bypass
by Associated Press
Published: May 21,2012
OKOLONA — Okolona officials want to push the city limits out closer to the U.S. 45 Bypass.
Mayor Louise Cole tells the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal moving the city limits eastward to within about a tenth of a mile of the bypass might attract a hotel and restaurant to the area.
Robert Shinn, who lives along Mississippi 41 East in the path of the proposed annexation, says he sees no value to the proposal. He says the city will be faced with the expense of providing city services to that area should annexation continue.
Shinn says he doesn’t think the city services he would get would offset the increase in city taxes he would have to pay.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- Counties ‘hoping to get it right’ as they await Tuscaloosa Marine shale boom
- News The Way You Want It!