City looking to push out closer to highway bypass
Published: May 21,2012
OKOLONA — Okolona officials want to push the city limits out closer to the U.S. 45 Bypass.
Mayor Louise Cole tells the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal moving the city limits eastward to within about a tenth of a mile of the bypass might attract a hotel and restaurant to the area.
Robert Shinn, who lives along Mississippi 41 East in the path of the proposed annexation, says he sees no value to the proposal. He says the city will be faced with the expense of providing city services to that area should annexation continue.
Shinn says he doesn’t think the city services he would get would offset the increase in city taxes he would have to pay.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Jackson’s Landmark Center slated for mixed-use conversion
- ANITA MODAK-TRURAN — Mississippi’s motion picture renaissance
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Race to the pump: Feds appear ready to beat state on new gas taxes
- Senate transportation chair seeks emergency money for roads, bridges
- 3 dozen groups OK'd for Miss. specialty car tags
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Challenging times ahead for Pearl’s manufactured home residents, apartment complex owners
- Irby commits suicide after wife's prison release