City looking to push out closer to highway bypass
Published: May 21,2012
OKOLONA — Okolona officials want to push the city limits out closer to the U.S. 45 Bypass.
Mayor Louise Cole tells the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal moving the city limits eastward to within about a tenth of a mile of the bypass might attract a hotel and restaurant to the area.
Robert Shinn, who lives along Mississippi 41 East in the path of the proposed annexation, says he sees no value to the proposal. He says the city will be faced with the expense of providing city services to that area should annexation continue.
Shinn says he doesn’t think the city services he would get would offset the increase in city taxes he would have to pay.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force