City looking to push out closer to highway bypass
by Associated Press
Published: May 21,2012
OKOLONA — Okolona officials want to push the city limits out closer to the U.S. 45 Bypass.
Mayor Louise Cole tells the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal moving the city limits eastward to within about a tenth of a mile of the bypass might attract a hotel and restaurant to the area.
Robert Shinn, who lives along Mississippi 41 East in the path of the proposed annexation, says he sees no value to the proposal. He says the city will be faced with the expense of providing city services to that area should annexation continue.
Shinn says he doesn’t think the city services he would get would offset the increase in city taxes he would have to pay.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast
- Boyd Gaming reports drop in in-state net revenue
- Union-restricting legislation moves forward
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years