Mayor endorses proposed countywide sales tax
Published: May 21,2012
PICAYUNE — Picayune Mayor Ed Pinero Jr. has endorsed a proposal for a 1-cent countywide sales tax, which would also be applied in the Pearl River County’s two municipalities, Picayune and Poplarville.
The tax was initially proposed by county Supervisor Anthony Hales Sr.
Pinero tells the Picayune Item his support depends on whether or not a portion of the sales tax would be used to partially offset property taxes paid by homeowners as proposed by Hales.
Board of Supervisors president J. Patrick Lee has said he was amenable to placing a nonbinding resolution on the tax proposal on the November general election ballot to learn how Pearl River County voters feel about Hales’ proposal.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- HUNTER ARNOLD: Mississippi, Gulf Coast states focus on global business markets
- Mississippi takes an incentives licking, keeps on ticking
- AWAITING ITS FATE: Gables complex may have to shrink to meet law
- Investors in Northbrook complex say Ridgeland targeting its own collateral for demolition
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- Mississippi furniture makers on rebound with more exports