Mayor endorses proposed countywide sales tax
Published: May 21,2012
PICAYUNE — Picayune Mayor Ed Pinero Jr. has endorsed a proposal for a 1-cent countywide sales tax, which would also be applied in the Pearl River County’s two municipalities, Picayune and Poplarville.
The tax was initially proposed by county Supervisor Anthony Hales Sr.
Pinero tells the Picayune Item his support depends on whether or not a portion of the sales tax would be used to partially offset property taxes paid by homeowners as proposed by Hales.
Board of Supervisors president J. Patrick Lee has said he was amenable to placing a nonbinding resolution on the tax proposal on the November general election ballot to learn how Pearl River County voters feel about Hales’ proposal.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Delta Health Alliance CEO Karen Fox under investigation for possible misuse of funds
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Ole Miss chancellor: Talks continue over job status
- Man charged in noose left on integration statue at Ole Miss