Mayor endorses proposed countywide sales tax
Published: May 21,2012
PICAYUNE — Picayune Mayor Ed Pinero Jr. has endorsed a proposal for a 1-cent countywide sales tax, which would also be applied in the Pearl River County’s two municipalities, Picayune and Poplarville.
The tax was initially proposed by county Supervisor Anthony Hales Sr.
Pinero tells the Picayune Item his support depends on whether or not a portion of the sales tax would be used to partially offset property taxes paid by homeowners as proposed by Hales.
Board of Supervisors president J. Patrick Lee has said he was amenable to placing a nonbinding resolution on the tax proposal on the November general election ballot to learn how Pearl River County voters feel about Hales’ proposal.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Outside group files arguments supporting McDaniel
- Court rules board can discipline West Virginia radiologist
- DAVID DALLAS: Mississippi's in'adequate' public schools
- MDEQ fines metalworking firm over hazardous waste
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- C Spire now offering new Blast Motion technology for athletes
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation