Mayor endorses proposed countywide sales tax
by Associated Press
Published: May 21,2012
PICAYUNE — Picayune Mayor Ed Pinero Jr. has endorsed a proposal for a 1-cent countywide sales tax, which would also be applied in the Pearl River County’s two municipalities, Picayune and Poplarville.
The tax was initially proposed by county Supervisor Anthony Hales Sr.
Pinero tells the Picayune Item his support depends on whether or not a portion of the sales tax would be used to partially offset property taxes paid by homeowners as proposed by Hales.
Board of Supervisors president J. Patrick Lee has said he was amenable to placing a nonbinding resolution on the tax proposal on the November general election ballot to learn how Pearl River County voters feel about Hales’ proposal.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data