Mayor endorses proposed countywide sales tax
by Associated Press
Published: May 21,2012
PICAYUNE — Picayune Mayor Ed Pinero Jr. has endorsed a proposal for a 1-cent countywide sales tax, which would also be applied in the Pearl River County’s two municipalities, Picayune and Poplarville.
The tax was initially proposed by county Supervisor Anthony Hales Sr.
Pinero tells the Picayune Item his support depends on whether or not a portion of the sales tax would be used to partially offset property taxes paid by homeowners as proposed by Hales.
Board of Supervisors president J. Patrick Lee has said he was amenable to placing a nonbinding resolution on the tax proposal on the November general election ballot to learn how Pearl River County voters feel about Hales’ proposal.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Doctor's murder-for-hire case postponed, mental evaluation pending
- ACLU could sue over state's new school prayer law
- Hatchery releases largemouth bass fingerlings in three rivers
- Bill exempting small farms from fuel storage regs passes Senate
- Mayor wants 'trial run' of hotel/restaurant tax next month