C Spire Wireless gives update on 4G LTE network build-out
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 23,2012
RIDGELAND — C Spire Wireless has released details on progress the company has made in readying its network for introduction of 4G LTE (Fourth Generation Long Term Evolution) high-speed mobile broadband services beginning in September.
The company reports it is investing $60 million for the initial introductory phase of 4G LTE mobile broadband services in 20 Mississippi markets covering 2,700 square miles, a population of 1.2 million and more than 360 cell sites. The new service will provide four out of every 10 consumers and businesses in Mississippi with wireless data speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G, allowing C Spire to be the first provider to make these services widely available in the state, according to the Ridgeland-based telecommunications company.
Since announcing its 4G LTE plans in early March, the company reports it has:
• Installed and tested all major, state-of-the-art core network elements required to launch the next generation of high-speed mobile broadband services
• Completed the second phase of installation of base station equipment at all 360 plus cell sites that will power 4G LTE services
• Integrated Ethernet backhaul at nearly 70 percent of all cell sites to date using fiber optic cable to boost overall 4G LTE data rates as well as 3G data service and voice capacity. All remaining cell sites are scheduled to be completed by September
• Continued field testing for maximum optimization of the company’s high-speed 4G LTE network
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image