SBA honors mayor for helping community recover from tornado
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 23,2012
SMITHVILLE — A Mississippi mayor who led recovery efforts after a tornado destroyed the entire town has earned a Phoenix Award from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).
Mayor Gregg Kennedy of Smithville received the Phoenix Award for Outstanding Contributions to Disaster Recovery by a Public Official. SBA wrote: “When they heard the tornado warning sirens around 2:30 p.m. on April 27, 2011, Kennedy and two city clerk’s took cover under a boardroom table at Town Hall. Ten seconds later, the building and the rest of Smithville was gone. In less than a minute, the tornado’s 205 mph winds had killed 16, destroyed 153 homes, four churches, the police headquarters and 14 of the 15 businesses in the one-square-mile area of Smithville. Kennedy took quick action, working with a doctor to set up a makeshift hospital, organizing search and rescue efforts, coordinating restoration of the town’s infrastructure, and running the emergency command center. Working for days without sleep, Kennedy became a symbol of optimism for Smithville residents and set the town on the road to rebirth. “
Since 1998, the SBA has presented Phoenix Awards to business owners, public officials and volunteers who displayed selflessness, ingenuity and tenacity in the aftermath of a disaster, while contributing to the rebuilding of their communities.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “SBA honors mayor for helping community recover from tornado”
Top Posts & Pages
- School superintendent terminated after party funds, travel questions
- Accounting firm finds problems at troubled MDMR
- Hosemann recruiting Realtors to market tax-forfeited property
- Davis resigns, turning over mayor's office early
- Airline announces new service at Oxford
- Woman indicted for Medicaid fraud; faces up to 35 years in prison
- Telepak strikes another branding deal with C Spire
- Report: State's teacher education programs 'mediocre at best'
- C Spire launches new WiFi On app for Android-powered phones