SBA honors mayor for helping community recover from tornado
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 23,2012
SMITHVILLE — A Mississippi mayor who led recovery efforts after a tornado destroyed the entire town has earned a Phoenix Award from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).
Mayor Gregg Kennedy of Smithville received the Phoenix Award for Outstanding Contributions to Disaster Recovery by a Public Official. SBA wrote: “When they heard the tornado warning sirens around 2:30 p.m. on April 27, 2011, Kennedy and two city clerk’s took cover under a boardroom table at Town Hall. Ten seconds later, the building and the rest of Smithville was gone. In less than a minute, the tornado’s 205 mph winds had killed 16, destroyed 153 homes, four churches, the police headquarters and 14 of the 15 businesses in the one-square-mile area of Smithville. Kennedy took quick action, working with a doctor to set up a makeshift hospital, organizing search and rescue efforts, coordinating restoration of the town’s infrastructure, and running the emergency command center. Working for days without sleep, Kennedy became a symbol of optimism for Smithville residents and set the town on the road to rebirth. “
Since 1998, the SBA has presented Phoenix Awards to business owners, public officials and volunteers who displayed selflessness, ingenuity and tenacity in the aftermath of a disaster, while contributing to the rebuilding of their communities.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “SBA honors mayor for helping community recover from tornado”
Top Posts & Pages
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Hosemann to launch crowd funding program
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- ALAN TURNER: Education in Mississippi – good and bad news
- JOSH MABUS: The Tao of Road House
- Answering the Bell: Interim Ole Miss law school dean well-regarded for directing hands-on clinical training