Marais cooks on TV
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 27,2012
Linkie Marais, a 2006 Mississippi University for Women graduate, showed off her culinary skills on this season’s “Food Network Star.” Marais was one of 15 hopefuls who were on the special two-hour premiere episode, which aired May 13.
Marais, originally from South Africa, migrated to Tupelo with her family when she was 16 even though her interest in baking and decorating cakes started long before then. She worked for a wedding company during high school where she decorated wedding cakes and catered, and she later earned a degree in culinary arts from MUW.
After attending MUW, Marais worked as a pastry chef and cake artist. She moved to Boston where she worked for a high-profile baking company, and was part of a team that decorated up to 80 cakes per week. Her recipes and techniques are influenced by the South African cuisine she grew up with.
The 28-year-old Marais currently resides in North Attleborough, Mass., with her husband, Jannie.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- MSU Foundation names five new members
- Crowded field lines up for Jackson mayoral election
- MDA introduces new 'Mississippi Homecoming' tourism ad campaign
- Another fiberhood qualifies for C Spire 1-gigabit Internet service
- Cochran questions nominee concerning Stanford ponzi scheme
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county