Marais cooks on TV
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 27,2012
Linkie Marais, a 2006 Mississippi University for Women graduate, showed off her culinary skills on this season’s “Food Network Star.” Marais was one of 15 hopefuls who were on the special two-hour premiere episode, which aired May 13.
Marais, originally from South Africa, migrated to Tupelo with her family when she was 16 even though her interest in baking and decorating cakes started long before then. She worked for a wedding company during high school where she decorated wedding cakes and catered, and she later earned a degree in culinary arts from MUW.
After attending MUW, Marais worked as a pastry chef and cake artist. She moved to Boston where she worked for a high-profile baking company, and was part of a team that decorated up to 80 cakes per week. Her recipes and techniques are influenced by the South African cuisine she grew up with.
The 28-year-old Marais currently resides in North Attleborough, Mass., with her husband, Jannie.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- 2014 a good year for filmmaking in Mississippi
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- (UPDATED — BREAKING NEWS) American Specialty Alloys won’t locate $1.2B mill in Mississippi