Marais cooks on TV
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 27,2012
Linkie Marais, a 2006 Mississippi University for Women graduate, showed off her culinary skills on this season’s “Food Network Star.” Marais was one of 15 hopefuls who were on the special two-hour premiere episode, which aired May 13.
Marais, originally from South Africa, migrated to Tupelo with her family when she was 16 even though her interest in baking and decorating cakes started long before then. She worked for a wedding company during high school where she decorated wedding cakes and catered, and she later earned a degree in culinary arts from MUW.
After attending MUW, Marais worked as a pastry chef and cake artist. She moved to Boston where she worked for a high-profile baking company, and was part of a team that decorated up to 80 cakes per week. Her recipes and techniques are influenced by the South African cuisine she grew up with.
The 28-year-old Marais currently resides in North Attleborough, Mass., with her husband, Jannie.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Health officials identify another case of chikungunya virus