Marais cooks on TV
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 27,2012
Linkie Marais, a 2006 Mississippi University for Women graduate, showed off her culinary skills on this season’s “Food Network Star.” Marais was one of 15 hopefuls who were on the special two-hour premiere episode, which aired May 13.
Marais, originally from South Africa, migrated to Tupelo with her family when she was 16 even though her interest in baking and decorating cakes started long before then. She worked for a wedding company during high school where she decorated wedding cakes and catered, and she later earned a degree in culinary arts from MUW.
After attending MUW, Marais worked as a pastry chef and cake artist. She moved to Boston where she worked for a high-profile baking company, and was part of a team that decorated up to 80 cakes per week. Her recipes and techniques are influenced by the South African cuisine she grew up with.
The 28-year-old Marais currently resides in North Attleborough, Mass., with her husband, Jannie.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program