Marais cooks on TV
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 27,2012
Linkie Marais, a 2006 Mississippi University for Women graduate, showed off her culinary skills on this season’s “Food Network Star.” Marais was one of 15 hopefuls who were on the special two-hour premiere episode, which aired May 13.
Marais, originally from South Africa, migrated to Tupelo with her family when she was 16 even though her interest in baking and decorating cakes started long before then. She worked for a wedding company during high school where she decorated wedding cakes and catered, and she later earned a degree in culinary arts from MUW.
After attending MUW, Marais worked as a pastry chef and cake artist. She moved to Boston where she worked for a high-profile baking company, and was part of a team that decorated up to 80 cakes per week. Her recipes and techniques are influenced by the South African cuisine she grew up with.
The 28-year-old Marais currently resides in North Attleborough, Mass., with her husband, Jannie.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- College Board names Glenn Boyce as higher education chief
- TRANSITION AT THE MDA — Is Mississippi better off than it was 3 years ago?
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- Deepwater Horizon Five Years Later — Restoring the Mississippi coast starts with a strong foundation
- PHIL HARDWICK: The third grade reading gate, book buddies and school principals
- Chancery Court’s interpretation of ‘public use’ will guide ruling on Westin money
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- THE SPIN CYCLE — Key results from Pew’s social media survey