Marais cooks on TV
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 27,2012
Linkie Marais, a 2006 Mississippi University for Women graduate, showed off her culinary skills on this season’s “Food Network Star.” Marais was one of 15 hopefuls who were on the special two-hour premiere episode, which aired May 13.
Marais, originally from South Africa, migrated to Tupelo with her family when she was 16 even though her interest in baking and decorating cakes started long before then. She worked for a wedding company during high school where she decorated wedding cakes and catered, and she later earned a degree in culinary arts from MUW.
After attending MUW, Marais worked as a pastry chef and cake artist. She moved to Boston where she worked for a high-profile baking company, and was part of a team that decorated up to 80 cakes per week. Her recipes and techniques are influenced by the South African cuisine she grew up with.
The 28-year-old Marais currently resides in North Attleborough, Mass., with her husband, Jannie.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015