Marais cooks on TV
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 27,2012
Linkie Marais, a 2006 Mississippi University for Women graduate, showed off her culinary skills on this season’s “Food Network Star.” Marais was one of 15 hopefuls who were on the special two-hour premiere episode, which aired May 13.
Marais, originally from South Africa, migrated to Tupelo with her family when she was 16 even though her interest in baking and decorating cakes started long before then. She worked for a wedding company during high school where she decorated wedding cakes and catered, and she later earned a degree in culinary arts from MUW.
After attending MUW, Marais worked as a pastry chef and cake artist. She moved to Boston where she worked for a high-profile baking company, and was part of a team that decorated up to 80 cakes per week. Her recipes and techniques are influenced by the South African cuisine she grew up with.
The 28-year-old Marais currently resides in North Attleborough, Mass., with her husband, Jannie.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Top 10 finalists chosen for C Spire Conerly Trophy
- State’s new banking chief Charlotte Corley has deep roots in the business
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap