Car dealer pleads guilty after raid nets 416 pounds of marijuana
Published: May 29,2012
JACKSON — Federal court records say the owner of a used car dealership in Jackson has pleaded guilty to charges related to a raid on his business that allegedly uncovered 416 pounds of marijuana.
Jeremy Lee Stambaugh, owner of Paradise Auto Sales in south Jackson, was arrested at the car lot in February along with Johnny Earl Course and David E. Jones.
Stambaugh pleaded not guilty in U.S. District Court in Jackson. The others have pleaded not guilty.
A court filing said sentencing is scheduled for Stambaugh on Aug. 2.
An affidavit filed by one of the Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics Agent responsible for the arrests says investigators were acting on a tip “from an unproven confidential source” when they began to stake out the dealership. The tipster allegedly told authorities that there were men at the dealership breaking down a big bundle of marijuana and packaging it for distribution.
The affidavit said narcotics agents could smell marijuana coming from one of the buildings and Stambaugh signed a form allowing the agents to search the property. They found “unwrapped bales of marijuana” stacked against the wall of a building, the affidavit said.
Course tried to run while the scene was being processed, but he has already been handcuffed and was quickly caught, according to the affidavit.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Canadian company purchasing Southern Lumber for nearly $50M
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Lawmakers question education leaders about escalating administrative costs
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Peavey Electronics reorganizing under new globalization plan
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Tourism conference being held on Coast; industry to ask state for more money
- C Spire completes acquisition of MegaGate Broadband
- Columbia Parachute expanding, relocating to BusinessPlex